Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:43:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  New to this... What do I need to build???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to this... What do I need to build???  (Read 5346 times)
dek
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:58:08 AM »

Well I live in Alaska and I will be moving to Nashville in a couple of months. I am looking at keeping a few birds (12-24) for Dog training. (I might drop a few of them on the grill.) If they breed then I might try to breed, but right now I just want to keep them alive. What kind of pen do I need to build? What kind of food am I going to keep in there? I will start out with Quail then maybe get a few Pheasent...  Does anyone have anything to suggest? I am looking fo rplans to print out and go by...
Thanks in advance
Shawn Hines
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:31:40 AM »

Where in Alaska are you?  I'm in Wasilla and raise quail, chukar and pheasant for training and just for fun.

Greg Christensen
dek
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:41:45 PM »

I am in Cordova. I am in the US Coastguard over here. Any ideas on a pen just for keeping them alive??? How is the weather over there right now? We are sunny and cold about 5- 15...

Dek
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 09:46:27 AM »

To keep 20-30 quail for dog training purposes I would recommend a Johnny house. You would be able to release birds for training, then let them come back on their own through the recall cone. Here are some pics of the first one I built:

An electronic recall system might be beneficial to you...here is a link that may help you out.
http://www.qualitywildlife.com/
They have the recall systems, and it's where I bought the less mess feed and watering system I have in the pics. I built a waterer and feeder out of PVC using those as a model...they work OK but not like the ones I purchased. Those are in my second J-house...problem is I have no birds in either of them right now!

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »

Those are in my second J-house...problem is I have no birds in either of them right now!

Redhorse, if I'm not mistaken, you can't keep releasing birds over and over again and continue shooting at them and expect your J-house to stay full of birds. Every once in a while, you have to get more or you're going to run out.

Just thought I'd let you know!

:laugh:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:42:19 AM »

I kept a batch of birds as breeders for over the winter...but something wiped them out. I didn't shoot them all I promise  :angel:. I should have been giving them some medicine I guess.

Actually I don't shoot very many at all...mostly we just go through the motions. I only shoot enough to keep the dogs from getting frustrated ;)

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »