Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:13:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Trainning Dogs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trainning Dogs  (Read 3614 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: March 02, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »

Ok I am going to try and train my dog (1 yr old) to find quail, but I don't know really how to train him. He is a really bright dog and obediant. I found a kit to start off with from a dog store that comes with drag, whistle, and training sent. What else could I use and what should I start off doing? Thanks for your time.

Bobwhite Quail24
zip
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:20:03 AM »

Buy a book and read it. There are some very good books and  tapes on training dogs. You can only teach a dog what you know so the more knowledge you have the more you can teach your dog.
Okiebirdhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 05:55:26 PM »

My advice is to buy the book "Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog: The Delmar Smith method".  You can also go to www. huntsmith.com and register for their  forum and you can get all the help you need. I'm not sure that the drag and scent will do much good for a bird dog. I would get the dog into birds. Pigeons or quail would be best. Pigeons are great for a young dog because they have alot of scent and they are cheap.

John
gunner

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:53:39 AM »

I'd suggest hooking up with a friend, neighbor that is an avid field trialer or pointing dog enthusiast.

Or better yet find a local bird dog trainer and offer assistance in return for knowledge.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »