Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:13:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Problem With Lab Pup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem With Lab Pup  (Read 5179 times)
JRHUNTER
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:10:08 PM »

I have a 4 and half old black lab pup who I have been having a problem with. When I pull a little on his collar, he will freak out. He'll try to get away and when he cant he'll roll onto his back and start peeing on himself. I can tell that he is very scared and does not know what is happening to him. Anyone know how I can break him of this?
huntindog
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 02:47:50 PM »

Take him outside put a leash on him.  Let him freak out, sweet talk him and pet him, let him know it is ok.  Do this over and over until he gets the hang of having his collar pulled.  All my pups always did cartwheels the first time I put leads on them.  I think it's normal. Good luck Julie
kcmohounds
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:55:53 PM »

You could also let the dog while in the house supervised let him walk around with the leash and collar on but just dragging the leash. It will help get him used to the leash but with nothing tugging on it. Then hold on to the leash and put a treat in your hand and we he settles down immediatly give him the treat. When he gets jumpy dont give him a treat and then talk to him and when he settles down give him a treat. Start walking around while holding the treat in front of his face this will get him used to the leash and be rewarded for behaving on the leash. Good luck.
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 06:03:44 PM »

being that he is 4 and half, its going to be a hard thing to break. like huntindog sade you should take hem out side w/ a leash and work with hem. but if he freaks out, you need to show hem that it's not ok to try to get away, or rolling and peeing on himself. but don't scare hem. you can make it even worse if your too hard on hem. it will take time. only do a little at a time. but make hem know that your the boss and when he freaks out.. its not alright. look into books on breaking dogs. hope this helps

-sam

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:28:10 PM »

chewchew, this post is almost 2 years old!!!!  Don't know if he will see it.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »

being that he is 4 and half,

Six and a half now....   :laugh:
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:55:14 PM »

lol..... well hows the lab?

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »