Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Brooder bulbs - which color Red, Green, Blue? Looking for an Answer.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brooder bulbs - which color Red, Green, Blue? Looking for an Answer.  (Read 3324 times)
fishyflyer

« on: June 09, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »

Every since I started raising Bobwhites 25 years ago, I have always used green bulbs in the brooder.  I understand using green is to reduce to pecking, etc.

So is green better than red or blue or ??

I haven't had any major issues staying with green.  I will continue to do so.

Is it a color spectrum thing with the vision of a particular species to reduce the pecking/cannibalism or preference?

I'm just throwing the question out there to see your opinions.
yote1

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »

Have never seen a green bulb, have used red , and blue. I don't see where a green would be much differant then red or blue.   But I'm no expert, their all on the news channels. What are your results from green?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:08:01 AM »

I don't believe that it makes any/much difference as long as the main goal of deterring cannabalism is acheived, especially when it comes to camoflauging any blood.  I've never heard of any specific colors that are preferred over the other for any particular species. Although, a "black light" may not be recommended!  ^-^   I've used a red 250watt on a dimmer, if it is turned all the way up and it is extremely bright, the BW's go wild and immediately become abusive to each other. My experience has always been, the darker, the better.

Quote from: yote1
But I'm no expert, their all on the news channels.

fp1

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Bill Woods

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:56:14 AM »

Hi,

Have been raising bobs for almost as many years as you have.

After heat lamp (prefer over gas on quail - ok for other gb)
I use a a red bulb about 3-6' above brooder pens (in stackable box batteries you don't have that opion however). When they go into adult raised pens I use a blue bulb. I tried green but green bulbs are dark here - meaning there is only one mfr. who suppllies the 5-6 various stores in area.
Finding that the coating on the bulbs have gotten thicker. Green you have to really squint.  The blue is fine. I found that birds are less jumpy doing chores, I can see better. 

Red bulbs too I have to open the boxes at store as I am finding some of these are getting a heavier coating. They work great when you want it especially during heavy breeding spring, but I prefer a lighter coated red (about 6' above pens) in mid-summer through the following spring. I found it better when I want fertile eggs through out the year and not just the spring.

As for cannblism - the bkue has worked best for me. It seems no matter what you do if you don't have the approaiate bird space and goodies(branches, cubies, scratch boxes, etc.) to prevent BOREDOM your going to have ankle/head bites. It's a fact of life I hate. You can have all females in a pen or all males - no difference - it happpens. You can throw a loose female in a large pen with a few females - if she doesn't get pecked or killed - no matter what color of light - it's a miracle. Its worse when say having a mixture of larger Georgia Giant and WI Jumbos. They typically get along and will cross-breed but when the ankle/pecking mood gets going the smaller bird ALWAYS loose - no matter how healthy. i Hope this helps.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »