Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Egg bobbing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Egg bobbing  (Read 2457 times)
jomo
« on: September 27, 2005, 09:59:19 AM »

I've currently got 28 button quail eggs from a batch of three dozen in the 'bator.  It's been over 18 days and no signs of life yet, though I'm not convinced anything survived shipping anyway -- the post office delivered to the boiling hot post box down the street instead of to the front door at work, so I have no idea how long they were out in the heat before someone went and picked up the mail.  Many of the eggs I was able to candle looked pretty addled as well (a lot of rolling air bubbles).

If there is still no sign by tonight, I want to try floating the eggs to look for movement.  I've been avoiding it up untill now because I was worried I might cause harm to the eggs, but I'd really like to know if anything's happening here.  Does it matter how warm the water is?  Should it be room temperature, or closer to the 'bator temp?  Should I boil the water first, so that it's sterile?

Thanks for any help!
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 07:56:14 PM »

Rolling air bubbles concerns me.  Only time I've ever seen that was on eggs that had either ruptured the air sac or where the eggs were rotten and the bubbles were formed by sulfur gasses building up.  DON'T open one inside the house.....That said, if/when you do open one...make sure your mouth is closed the whole time.  Only thing worse than the smell is the taste.

David
Johnny Glades
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 09:04:57 AM »

Ya got that right, David !    :o
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 07:19:53 PM by Johnny Glades » Logged
jomo
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:11:42 PM »

I've already opened a bunch of them, no rotten ones so far (but no embryos either, just scrambled orange goop).  I think they're toast.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »