Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  home-made incubator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: home-made incubator  (Read 10631 times)
MochaChai
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2004, 11:30:57 AM »

PROBLEM!!!
-Overnight, the humidity went up to 74%. The water tray and the lightbulbs and everything is behind a screen, and i can't get my hand in there without opening the lid (which would let all heat out). Can i replace the hot water with ice cold water?
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2004, 06:53:59 PM »

Adding cold water won't really help you. Humidity is tied to the surface area of the water, not the temp.  Granted, warm water will evaporate at a faster pace than cold water but the trick to lowering humidity is to vent the humid air off by opening vents or cracking the door open slightly for a minute or two.  All adding cold water will do is lower the temp since it will radiate the cooler temp. Keep in mind, short durations of lowered temp are natural since throughout incubation (until the last two or three days) the hen will get off the nest for short periods to grab a bite to eat and eliminate her waste. Where most humidity problems occur is during the hatch since the chicks require extra humidity to hatch and every time you open the door to remove hatched chicks you lose valuable moisture. As I recall from your earlier posts, you were running a little low on the humidity up to now and a few days of lower humidity followed by a few high days will pretty much even out.  If it really bothers you, open the door and remove a water pan.

David
duck nutt
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2004, 06:07:20 PM »

you're worrying too much about humidity.....concerning humidity too much is worse than too little...eggs have to lose some of their fluids to develop properly.....if the humidity is too high, they can's lose the fluids and they'll "drown"....keep a little water in the incubator and 3 days before the projected hatch put a big sponge in the water..large enuff that it sticks out of the top of the water container..this will boost the humidity by adding water surface..good luck
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »