Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:41:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Hovabator 1588
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hovabator 1588  (Read 6958 times)
GhostRider32
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:16:31 PM »

Hello all,

I have one of these on the way and from what I've read that it pretty much does everything on it's on but I am curious, how does this thing know when to increase or regulate the humidity for the hatch? Thanks.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »

It doesn't!  Temperature only!  Here is a description I found on the 1588:
Description:   This unit operates on a 12 Volt DC Power Supply that plugs into a standard 110 volt outlet. Temperature is FACTORY PRE-SET for bird eggs. Simply plug it in, then add water and eggs. Nothing to set up or adjust. This circulated air Hova-Bator comes with a thermometer, plastic bottom liner, and regulates itself in the 99.5 F (38 C) range. Like all incubators, the 1588 requires a stable room temperature and should not be used in areas like sheds or barns. Being pre-set, this incubator delivers consistently good hatches. Excellent for classrooms, novices, and experts. Can be used for most types of bird eggs. Thermometer and clear plastic bottom liner are standard equipment. Dimensions 18" x 18" x 71/2"
 You'll still have to monitor the humidity. I'm guessing it will be like the GQF's with water channels to keep full.  Someone else here that has one can add more details.

John
TopKnot

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 02:33:12 PM »

I have the same incubator and as John said you will need to monitor humidity, it won't happen on its own.  You just need to follow the instruction about which channels to fill.  Near the end of the hatch, last three days or so, you are supposed to add water to both channels.  In addition, I like to gently mist my eggs with warm water out of a spray bottle to help with the humidity.  I've had good luck with my incubator so far.  To be safe, I would suggest using distilled water.
GhostRider32
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »

Does the 1588 come with a humidity monitor or do I need ot get one? If I need to buy, what's a good one? Thanks.
TopKnot

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »

The 1588 does not come with a hygrometer.  I have one from GQF that works okay.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »

You can get a digital Thermometer Hygrometer combo. I have an Acurite one. You can find them on ebay, homedepot, walmart, etc.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 10:29:38 AM »

http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/humidity.htm

The above link will give a ton of info on what you are looking for. Note the titles in red, you can click on them for more info.
GhostRider32
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 10:09:25 PM »

Thx all.
GhostRider32
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 11:34:36 PM »

Hey all, I filled up the 1 water trough like it said in the book to do, how long should it take before I need to fill it up again? Thanks.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 11:42:08 PM »

You best check it often. You can do this by peeking from the view window and giving the incubator a little shake to see if any water.

On dry warm days...water will dry up in 3-5 days. On humid days, water loss will be slower.
GhostRider32
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:10 AM »

OK, so at some point, I will have to refill. Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm under the impression that you shouldn't open the top more than necessary. If I have to refill then not only do I have to open the top but I have to remove the turner with eggs in it before filling, correct? Doesn't that expose the eggs to too much outside air? How do you guys fill your trough's with eggs and turner inside?
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 01:43:06 AM »

Well others have mentioned using a little hose through the vent hole on top to fill water. I just remove the top and fill and haven't had much issues. The idea is not to open the incubator needlessly.

You don't have to remove the egg turner. Just position the liner so you'll have access to fill it. I just use like a Gaterade bottle with a fine nozzle and squirt inbetween the eggturner to fill.
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 10:52:58 AM »

I took a straw that would fit into one of the vent holes and taped a funnel to it. Then when I needed to add water I just stuck it through the vent holes. Worked great. Now I just need to learn how to properly incubate eggs. lol.

Bobwhite quail24
GhostRider32
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »

Thx for all the responses.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 08:38:24 AM »

OK, so at some point, I will have to refill. Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm under the impression that you shouldn't open the top more than necessary. If I have to refill then not only do I have to open the top but I have to remove the turner with eggs in it before filling, correct? Doesn't that expose the eggs to too much outside air? How do you guys fill your trough's with eggs and turner inside?

During incubation a hen will get off the eggs at least one time per day. You can fill the water chanel without any worries.
When you remove the turner for hatching, fill both chanels & it may go through the hatching without need to fill again. But if it looks like it will need more water, do so before they start to hatch. It is during the hatch that you want to keep the humidity inside up to spec.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »