Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 09:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  using a hovabator for hatcher?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: using a hovabator for hatcher?  (Read 3894 times)
pamike
Expert Member

« on: May 17, 2006, 03:59:56 PM »

can I use my hova-bator for a hatcher after my eggs are all done hatching? I will have some pheasant, A&m, and chicken eggs in my little giant that will be due to hatch all after the first batch of quail eggs.

mike
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »

sure you can. same temp...just higher humidty. ;)
woodenegg
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »

There are a lot of people who hatch eggs that do just that.  I have a cabinet incubator and use three foam incubators as hatchers.  That way, I can handle small numbers of eggs per type and keep them separated.  I've got Call ducks, Khaki Campbell ducks, 4 breeds of turkeys (Bourbon Reds, Royal Palms, Narragansetts and Wild Eastern), 3 breeds of quail (coturnix, Butler Bobwhites and Wisconsin Jumbos) and 5 breeds of pheasant (Red Goldens, Reeves, Swinhoes, Elliots, and Alaskan Snows) incubating right now.  This is the only way I can keep them all straight.  And incase you are wondering, I never get carried away.  Isn't it fun?
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 05:13:21 PM »

Sounds like me in a few years. I started out buying 5 chicken chicks, then 4 more, then a hova-bator, then 50 coturnix eggs, then 24 A&M eggs then the wife bought silkie, pheonix and frizzle eggs. all together we will have about 100 eggs incubating at the same time. I am really hooked and it has only been 2 months since I started, oh yeah I still need 2 egg turners and quail cups and........

mike
woodenegg
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 05:32:17 PM »

Okay, I will share a secret!  I have taken 1/2" x 1" welded wire, cut it three inches wide by what ever the length the egg turner trays are, bent it into a 'V' shaped U and zip tied it to the existing turner.  Now I can do anything from Turkeys and Ducks to pheasant, chukar, quail or what ever and the number of eggs changes to fit the size without having to change the cups while others are incubating.  I can take a group of turkey eggs off and fill in the blank space with ducks, pheasant, quail or whatever with out the need to change anything.  When I am done the the mass hatching this summer, I will take them off, dip them in the rubber handle mix you can buy at the hardware store and have them slip resistant and rubber coated to boot.  And to answer the other question, yes  I built my cabinet.  When I get some time this summer I will put pictures, etc in the build it yourself page.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:29:16 PM »

I wish I heard this secret last week before I bought quail cups...  Lemme see if I got this straight. Do you cut the 3" side of the rectangle so it has 3 - 1" sections or 6 - 1/2" sections for the "U" fold? and do you zip tie this in the existing cups that come with the egg turner or onto the silver rail? (I'm referring to the Little Giant 6200 turner - not sure what Hovabator's looks like).

Thx... John
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 07:08:34 PM »

I have 2 hova bators  and i always use 1 for a hatcher  but now i have both filled with eggs  and they are due to hatch on the 28th of this month so in a couple of weeks i plan on getting another incubator.Ill probably give my business to Larry  of Redoaks game birds and give him some support for hosting this site.
Scot
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:23:39 PM »

5 breeds of pheasant (Red Goldens, Reeves, Swinhoes, Elliots, and Alaskan Snows)

Snows ? Can you post a pic, then PM me where you posted it please ?
(of this species)
woodenegg
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 10:12:05 PM »

John,  It is 3 - 1".   With the slight U shape on the bottom, it sets in the groove in the little giant turner.  Really works slick. 

Reeves, my understanding is it is a ringneck mutant.  I haven't seen one yet.  If they hatch, I'll send you a picture.  I have been told they are white with little black edging on some of the feathers in a snow flake pattern.  I will be interested to see.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 04:59:04 AM »

they are mutants  white with black specs    called white pheasant   
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »