Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:19:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  How much humidity is too much?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much humidity is too much?  (Read 6703 times)
ChrisCarreiro

« on: April 26, 2006, 07:55:32 PM »

I have the Chickbator, and i have a 2 liter bottle cap filled with water sitting inside of the incubator, and there is condensation  around the dome. Is that too much water, or   is this not a bad thing?

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:02:19 PM »

too much is bad. it can drown the chicks while they are hatching.

for the dome ChickBators, your supposed to fill one of the legs.
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:13:42 PM »

How about if i leave the 2 liter soda bottle cap in there full, and fill it half way up 3 days before they hatch, when i stop turning them. Is that logical?

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 08:18:47 PM »

as long as you humidity but not to where water droplets forming on the dome etc. then you should be fine.
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 08:58:03 PM »

do u think i have damaged the eggs that are in there, since a small amount of condensation on the dome formed?

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 09:07:35 PM »

How many days have they been in the incubator?   if its only been a few  you will be fine.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »

Temperature

Temperature is the most critical factor in the hatchability of eggs. In forced-draft machines, the temperature should be beween 99 and 100f (37 and 38c) with a mean setting of 99.5f (37.5c). In still-air machines, the temperature taken at the top of the egg should be about 102f (39c); care should be taken that the temperature does not exceed 103f (40c). The lowest temperature (or physiological zero) for egg development has been determined to be about 68f (20c); the highest temperature is about 109f (43c).

Humidity Requirements

Humidity is improtant because it controls the evaporation of water from the egg and maintains the proper physiochemical equilibrium among the various egg consituents. High humidity seals the pores of the egg shell and prevents proper exchange of gases and can lead to asphyxiation of the embryo. Low humidity permits excessive evaporation of the egg contents and retards development of the embryo. The normal relative humidity for the incubation of Pheasant, Partridge, and Quail eggs is about 46 percent. In a constant forced-air machine, Pheasant and Partridge eggs develop best if exposed to a wet-bulb reading of 82f (28c) during incubation and a temperature of about 90f (32c) in the hatcher. Quail generally require a higher humidity at the beginning of incubation, 86f (30c) wet-bulb and about 90f (32c) wet-bulb in the hatcher.
jmac
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 01:06:34 AM »

i am new to this and need some help. here is the story. Gamble quail layed 3 eggs in my sons club house-mom never to return. so i got a still egg incubator and put the eggs in. we are turning the eggs 3 times a day but please help i do not know what i am doing and i really am getting into saving these eggs and would like to hatch some others-this is fun !!!! jmac
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 01:31:50 AM »

Just make sure your conditions are as Reeves posted above and you should be fine.

Gamble eggs will take ~23days to incubate. 3 days before hatch date, can stop turning.

What are you doing for humidity? Did your incubator come with the plastic bottum liner with troughs?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 03:31:55 AM by aKirA » Logged
jmac
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 01:44:02 AM »

still air incubator model 9200- i think your basic incubator. no humidity-now what to i do- 1st day eggs in incubator. thanks jmac
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 03:40:57 AM »

9200 is that by GQF Hova-bator? I could not find it on thier site.

If it came with a bottum plastic liner trough...you will see two troughs in the middle area.
You fill the bigger "C" shaped trough for the first 20 days. Keep it filled all the time.
Then on the last 3 days...you fill the smaller trough as well.

If it didnt come with the bottum liner, just fill a pan tray with warm water and put under the wire and try to get the humidity to the level as Reeves stated. You can control the humidity by using a plastic bag or similar. Covering the opening area space for lowering humidity and opening it for more humidity. If you don't have a hygrometer to read humidity...then just make sure no humidity is forming on the window and you should be ok. Good luck.
woodenegg
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 04:45:42 PM »

9200 is a Little Giant.  The foam bottom has troughs in it. Some of the have holes for air exchange, the others are for water.   Depending on the humidity in your area, you will need to fill one, or both.  The more humid it is the less it takes.  You can buy an inexpensive digital gauge at WalMart for about $10 that will tell you where you are at, and well worth the investment.  Just remember, as air warms, the humidity drops.
jmac
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 02:15:35 AM »

YES, IT IS THE LITTLE GIANT. I FILLED ONE OF THE TOUGHS LIKE YOU SAID. I HOPE THIS WORKS. MY SONS ARE TURNING THE EGGS 3 TIMES A DAY AND HAVE NEVER FORGOTEN ONCE. TRYING TO SAVE THESE TWO EGGS. IF THIS DOES NOT WORK WHERE COULD I GET SOME QUAIL EGGS SO THEY CAN CONTINUE WITH THIS PROJECT.? THE WHOLE FAMILY IS ENJOYING THIS.
Babs_MN
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 12:42:14 PM »

Hi jmac,

I have Gambel, and a wide variety of other eggs should yours not hatch.

Please visit us at http://www.countryegg.com

I have a free downloadable Quail Catalog on our home page if your on dial-up or pressed for time, but your welcome to peruse the entire site. ;)

Babs
Country Egg
woodenegg
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »

YES, IT IS THE LITTLE GIANT. I FILLED ONE OF THE TOUGHS LIKE YOU SAID. I HOPE THIS WORKS. MY SONS ARE TURNING THE EGGS 3 TIMES A DAY AND HAVE NEVER FORGOTEN ONCE. TRYING TO SAVE THESE TWO EGGS. IF THIS DOES NOT WORK WHERE COULD I GET SOME QUAIL EGGS SO THEY CAN CONTINUE WITH THIS PROJECT.? THE WHOLE FAMILY IS ENJOYING THIS.

If this fails, just send me a PM.  I'm working way to hard to find homes for eggs right now.  For the cost of shipping I'd send your sons some coturnix eggs.  I've been hatching with grand-kids for a while now and it is a great activity.  They don't think grandpa can possibly take care of the eggs and birds without their help.:)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »