Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Baby chicks dying
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baby chicks dying  (Read 8386 times)
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« on: August 08, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »

Been hatching bobwhites for quite some time now but the chicks keep dying. They do fine till they are 5-7 days old then about 4-5  die a day they are kept in clean brooders. They get a ground up starter feed the heat is right and vitamin water. Been doing the same thing I,ve done for years. (Except) I have been incubating chuckers and bobwhites together. Do you think this is the problem?????   Thank Ya Jim
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:56:15 PM »

Only two things that come to mind real quick.

One, some kind of bacteria has gotten into your brooders.

The other is the eggs you (may) be buying have some kind of virus/bacteria on them.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »

Reeves, The brooders are new I just rebuilt them. As far as the eggs they all come from my birds. That's what is puzzling. Thank ya Jim
russ

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:55:57 PM »

In my experience so far..s**t happens, just when u think they are gonna make it, you go out and you have a few dead ones, i think its just the way it is, can't really explain it but thats the way it is, i've even went out and found 3wk. old chicks dead with no explanation at all..?????.. Russ
wpalmisano

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:07:29 AM »

My suggestion ? Retrace your steps. New feed ? Move the brooder ? Paint ? It sounds as if they are born healthy and something is killing them. 5 days makes me think its something they are ingesting, or becoming infected, or impacted. Any sign of trauma ? Maybe the chuckers kept them from killing each other. Just thinkin......

hoppingsp

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »

I had same problem  I think some of them were smothered in the group of mine by others when huddled up. I had mine on wood shavings, possibly ingested and choked. I started to give my chicks a half tsp. Of apple cider vinegar for help with parasites or so I was told. Anyway, did away with shavings, gave the vinegar and no more losses. I am new to this but seemed to work for me, u may already have these things figured out. I also made several changes at once so can't say which fixed problem, but it was an easy fix for me so far. No more dead baby chics.  Just couple of ideas  one more thing I don't grind up starter feed  was told could be too powdery and  get stuck in throat don't know if that is true but I don't do it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »