Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:23:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Soft Water?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soft Water?  (Read 2989 times)
amerioutfitter

« on: May 13, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »

Will water from a water softener hurt quail.  I'm building a brooder house and I'm installing a nipple watering system this weekend, but I'm concerned about my well water.  My water is very hard and I'm afraid it will eventually clog up the nipples.  I'm thinking about going through the water softener, but not sure if quail can handle this.  Also, water from my softner somtimes tastes very salty, usually when it is cycling, I'm sure this can't be good for them. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks....
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »

I have had zero problems with hard water clogging nipples.  You will likely have more trouble with algae build up in hoses, and PVC.  See the thread; Mixing Nature's Odor Eliminator.  This, or Apple Cider Vinegar, will stop that nearly every time.  If not, use more.  I'm sure you are correct about salt.  Hard water will clog cooling misters, quickly.  Actually, the vinegar may keep the minerals in hard water (and I sure have hard water), suspended better.

Another solution would be a series of barrels, pond pumps, and hose to gather rain water.  I use this for incubators, and any extra for bird water.  This also needs to be treated with N.O. Eliminator, A.C. Vinegar, or Bleach (very little) in warm weather.  I use a tank, or Rubbermaid tub for water source on some of my nipple systems.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »

Too much salt is/can be toxic to most birds.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »

Which makes me think of Alfalfa pellets, the pellets for rabbits are usually high in salt.

amerioutfitter

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »

I really appreciate the input. 

My plans were to run the main water line (from the well) into a regulator that reduces to 5 psi or less and then into the float box.

What is the best method for introducing the algae killing agent into the watering system? 

I guess I need to also consider a way to inject meds into the system too.

What about running the main water line into a 55 gallon drum equipped with a float valve (like a toilet has), then gravity feeding the water from the drum to the nipple watering system's float box?

Just thinking out loud......
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:20:53 PM »

I thought you already had a proportioner.  In your scenario, I believe I would put a shut off valve outside the container, also.  Place the premeasured additives in the tank, open the valve, and go do other chores.  When tank is full (your float valve will act as safety), turn off exterior valve.  This will maintain mix ratio.  If you have the tank marked at different levels, you can add more by calculating the amounts based on level in the tank.

Unless you have a heck of a bunch of birds, you won't have to fill the tank very often.

You have a good idea, as far as avoiding the need for a pressure regulator.  The proportioners cost about $200-$300.  One slight problem with using a large tank is when you decide to change additives.  For instance, if you want to add worm medication, you may want to treat the birds for three days, or five days.  What if you have two weeks worth of water left in the tank, at that time?  No problem, if you have a drain installed.  But, what if you have expensive medication already added to water?  Life is compromise, huh?

amerioutfitter

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »

You bring-up some good points......

So I will add at tank with a shutoff valve to make it easy when I need to 'spike the punch'. 

The drain is also a good idea!

How often do you treat your system with 'algae killer'? Do you keep the solution in the water all the time or just run a batch through on scheduled dates?

As far as worming, I didn't plan to worm for the first time until the birds are at 9 weeks, and then every 3 weeks.  By this time, they will be in the grow out pen so the same water system architecture will probably apply  (haven't built the growout/fly pen yet) .  Do you worm prior to 9 wks?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »

Can you put the tank inside a building where it will stay dark and cool ?

Most birds will not drink hot water (seems to me I read that years ago).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »