Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Grouse hunting in Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grouse hunting in Kentucky  (Read 8284 times)
12 Ga.

« on: August 26, 2006, 02:16:13 PM »

Does anyone know what the forecast for Grouse in Kentucky is  this year  ?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:29:09 PM »

What day? 

You may be able to go to "the weather channel" and type in Grouse, Kentucky to get the forecast.

:laugh:

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Seriously...........have you checked with the DNR?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
12 Ga.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 08:22:38 PM »

I understand now why you are a Certified SA.   Thanks for the info.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »

:laugh:
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 09:29:23 AM »

This past winter was very mild...didn't even get cold enough to kill the bugs around here. Ohio is North of Kentucky, so you should have been even better down there. Last Spring was not overly rainy, no floods, etc. Ground nesting birds do well with a dry Spring, followed by a mild winter.

SHOULD BE GOOD! If you get into them, let us know. Grouse hunting here in Ohio has been steadily declining with the good habitat maturing into Turkey/Deer territory :(

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
douglasgraham
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »

I've done a little grouse hunting in Kentucky with my college roommate. Been going there off and on for the past 20 years to the Daniel Boone Forest near McKee in Jackson county. The best habitat in these areas are logged out ridge tops and hollers that have a thick under growth which provides both cover and food. While this terrain makes for excellent grouse country, it in turn makes for rough hunting. Up and down these mountains, wading through briars and saplings will wear on you, and when a bird gets up, you are usually in a spot where you can barely swing a shotgun. My partner and I have come home from these hunts looking like we've been in a cat fight from the briars. I called him and he sent me this web link (http://fw.ky.gov/0304grousecoop.asp?lid=1046&NavPath=C288 )it’s for last years forecast but I'm sure you can get to this years from this site. Also you can goggle Kentucky and grouse and get all sorts of info. I'll tell you this from my trips there, they have a lot of hunting pressure there and the birds are really hunter savvy....hope you have a flushing dog and not a pointer because they love to run! Have fun and let us know how you do.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 07:30:37 PM »

Last year, here in SE Ohio, I heard alot of drumming going on in the spring and some in the fall.  This year, not as much drumming.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:02:15 PM »

Grouse hunting here in Southern Ohio is pretty much the same. Lots of reclaimed strip mines, logging areas, abandoned farms, etc. Once an area starts growing back up after a clear cut or whatever disturbance...it takes about 3-5 yrs of growth until it becomes good Grouse habitat. It will remain "prime" until around the 11-12 yr mark if there are Aspens...a little less without them.

:police:If your not giving blood, your not grouse hunting in Ohio!!

I've hiked through the DB National Forest down there...even flushed grouse off the ridgetops when the blueberries were ripe and they were in there feeding on them. Never hunted in Kentucky yet. My cousin just bought a place down near the Tenn line across from Clarksville. Visited him a month ago and heard Bobs calling around his property...I think the dogs and I might just visit again soon!!

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »