Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  putting quail in pens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: putting quail in pens  (Read 8488 times)
ANG102863

« on: October 12, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »

can you put different age bobwhite quail in pens together?? if so how would you go about doing this,  thanks angie
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:43:16 AM »

not a good idea. but  if you have to . try putting the new birds in a cage and put the whole cage inside the pen for a while to get everyone acquainted and  see how they react before releasing the newbies.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »

What he said, otherwise............guaranteed deaths.   There are several threads on this on the forum. Try searching "mixing birds"...."different age", etc.

s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »

I can tll you from my personal experience two years ago.    BBBAAAAD Idea to mix bobwhite.  I enede up with a butch of dead birds!  Even though I thought I was being sooo0 carful and watching their movements.  They waited until after dark and then destroyed the younger birds, even though they were out numbered 3 to 1.  Sneaky little critters ! s53    However, with my coturnix it is a totally different story.   They are much more tolerant of each other.  Have  mixed them several times and no problems..........so far.    Good luck!
NTxBirdman

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:07:31 AM »

It is not a pretty site, expecially with older and younger birds. They're like pihrana...
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »

Angie, If you have several pens and you take the older birds and the younger birds and move them to a totally different pen at just about dark this usually works out o.k. thank ya Jim         s016 to that quail place
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »

Angie, Birddog's right. Put the young birds in a cage and put the cage inside the pen with the older birds in it. Wait about five to seven days and then you can release the young ones. I've done this a few times with not one dead bird. If you just dump them together without any getting used to each other time then you will lose all the young ones.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »

s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
ode2god
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »

yall know me n my goofy questions but i gotta ask if you get bw quail the same age kin ya mix em?    j2 by the way  s016 to that quail place angie us hens are gain in right slider :evil:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »

Oddy......you need to read more and post (mug) less.

(someone had to say it....)
ode2god
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:10 PM »

Oddy......you need to read more and post (mug) less.

(someone had to say it....)
                                                                                                                      :-* geee i didnt know there was a limit to how much one could post maybe i should count yours too ....you might want to myob s6 and rude  ...ps im a speed reader  maybe you should try to sharpen YOUR skills  i actually belong to 2 quail forums and read quite alot thank you ... im just trying to learn ..so if you have nothing nicer to say maybe you should keep it to yourself s176 i thought that was what this forum is for :x i like the "mugs" ,by the way theyre called smileys, its the best way to express what your feeling...have you seen some of sliders smileys?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:55:35 PM by ode2god » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »

SR-81....
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »

Your right Reeves some body had to say it.. s020  I been on my best behavior lately.......But boy I been thinking it... j45  j45  j45  j45

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 02:20:50 AM »

For shame, for shame, for shame..... i6

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »

s020

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »