Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:03:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  Fertility in Gamebirds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fertility in Gamebirds  (Read 6863 times)
bluemoose

Personal Text

« on: June 19, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »

This is our first year incubating gamebirds.  We have a homemade incubator built in the style of a GQF incubator.  We ordered eggs from a local bird raiser and he told me to incubate the pheasants, chukar, and quail all together.  He told me to quit turning the eggs at 19 days for a 21 day hatch.  Research on the internet told differently.  I would like to know if it hurt the eggs to quit the turning process two days too early. 

Our hatch rate was not quite what we expected.  We would like to incubate more eggs to get our bird numbers up, but we want to know if the fertitlity rate for eggs is very good this late in the season?  Could anyone give us some advice?  Thank you!
greyghost
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:46:32 AM »

Bluemoose,  I see a problem right off the bat; Pheasant, Chukar and Bobwhite Quail hatch in 23 to 24 days. Not 21. Normally you will take the eggs off turner 3 days before the hatch date. This gives the chicks time to set up for pipping. I assume you know what pipping is.
If you set the eggs for a hatch too early the chicks will not be strong enough to break out. If you do this to late the chicks will have expended their energy from the yolk and give up. In my opinion, you are better off taking the eggs off turner a day early than a day late.
 I hatch Japanese Quail and Pheasants IN the turner all day long. They pop open whenever they seem fit to do it! I hope this helps, Ghost.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:16:22 PM »

Its not late in the season here in the U.S. and you are going to have to do alot of reading and alot of hatching to get good at it. Hatching eggs is an art and your just going to get some time behind you and ask away on here but do alot of reading before you ask the basic questions...Good Luck, but you make your own...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
bird288

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »

Slider .Is right, Keep try ,Its not to late
  Don't give up ,,Hatch as many as you can ,And do lots of reading
   ,,Jay
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »