Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:28:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Is my nine week old italian quaile hen barron
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is my nine week old italian quaile hen barron  (Read 4357 times)
cactipeat

Charles & Dianna

« on: April 11, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »

Hi, I HAVE HAD A COCK AND A HEN PAIR OF ITALIAN QUAILE FOR THREE WEEKS NOW AND HAVE STILL HAD NO EGG PRODUCTION. THE PAIR WERE SOLD TO ME AS SIX WEEK OLDERS AND I WAS TOLD THAT SHE WAS ABOUT READY TO LAY AT THE TIME. IS THIS A USUAL OCCURENCE OR IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG? THANKYOU, PETE.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »

Form what i understand from what you told us is that they are only six weeks old so they probably not lay this year since they are still pretty young and if you have only had them for three weeks they might not be comfortable enough to lay yet in their new surroundings ty2

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
greyghost
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:53 PM »

Hi Pete, are your " Italian Quail" Coturnix or Bobwhite?  If they were sold to you as Coturnix you will have to wait a couple of weeks before the hens lay. If they are Bobwhite you will have to wait until week 20 or longer.
 Some people name their type of quail some exotic name to get us to buy them. I have read " Mexican speckled" or " Golden" or Italian quail. What you probably have are Coturnix ( Japanese or Asian ) quail.
This type will lay in 7 to 8 weeks.
Also, as Kingwolf said, they must be comfortable in their new house. Keep them quiet, keep from startling them. Most important is the amount of sunlight they have; hens will lay at 14 hr.s of daylight. Good luck. Ghost.
cactipeat

Charles & Dianna

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:50:06 PM »

Hi Pete, are your " Italian Quail" Coturnix or Bobwhite?  If they were sold to you as Coturnix you will have to wait a couple of weeks before the hens lay. If they are Bobwhite you will have to wait until week 20 or longer.
 Some people name their type of quail some exotic name to get us to buy them. I have read " Mexican speckled" or " Golden" or Italian quail. What you probably have are Coturnix ( Japanese or Asian ) quail.
This type will lay in 7 to 8 weeks.
Also, as Kingwolf said, they must be comfortable in their new house. Keep them quiet, keep from startling them. Most important is the amount of sunlight they have; hens will lay at 14 hr.s of daylight. Good luck. Ghost.
Thanks for your & kingwolfs info, by the way she has broken her duck and laid an egg for each of the last three days now, today happened at approx. 16.00 hrs in the afternoon. The first egg was slightly smaller and pointed than the outhers, all of the three have a hard shell and fine mottled brown chocolate colouring. I was about to purchase two more hens but now I may buy or build an incubator. Would there be a problem with inter breeding do you think?. Great hobby quails are. cheers pete. P.S. I believe them to be of the coturnix species. thanx. p.
cactipeat

Charles & Dianna

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »

day 4 and another nice egg. 4 in a row now
cactipeat

Charles & Dianna

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

she had two days off and laid earlier this evening
greyghost
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »

Good for you Pete, sorry I have been so long, my old computer went a29 on me. I am back, on a new machine, and ready to ROCK!
 I had a funny feeling that you had Coturnix quail. Since we talked I have hatched 130 Bob's, 14 XLD1's and 6 Ringnecks. Call me strange, but, I like chicks! I have 30 Chukar, 28 XLD1's and 16 pheasant eggs in the incubators and bought 30 Melanistic's coming next week. Not to mention N Bobs and Wisconsin jumbos from " Thank ya, Jim." ( Jim Murray )
 Busy, busy! s98
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »