Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Question #1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question #1  (Read 4266 times)
student

« on: November 23, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »

How many BW eggs should I put in an incubator to be sure to get 125 chicks? How many RN pheasant eggs should I put in an incubator to be sure to get 65 chicks?
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »

hi,

i would say 250 BW eggs and 130 pheasant eggs would be good.  At least half the amount of the eggs should be chicks, but of course no one can predict the future.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »

sounds about right to me. More than that will most likely hatch but by the time you lose some to whatever reasons, you should have the numbers you want.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:31:29 PM »

:-| ::)  i9

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:20:10 AM »

j1One thing I have found, you can never use the words "be sure of" when dealing with Mother Nature.  Just about the time you think you know how things will turn out...she throws you a curve!  You can come close, sometimes, VERY close to doing things just right, and the next time, you do things the exact same things and will get different results.  Mother Nature can have a very warped sense of humor sometimes! j1  but I think those numbers sound good, also.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:17:48 AM »

As I mentioned in reply to your queastion #2, I have generally gotten hatch rates around 85% or more with shipped eggs, and 90%-95% with my own eggs.  I usually add some shipped eggs, when I set my own Quail eggs, so the percentage of non-shipped eggs is approximate.

Now the bad news:

My last two hatches of Georgia Giant eggs were disasters.  One was a shipment of something near 2000.  The last was a combination of roughly 650 of my own, and 600 that I picked up, myself.   The first of these two was something like 57%, as I remember, and shipped last fall.  The last was this Spring and barely 50%, even including 2-3 dozen very late hatchers.

Listing your general area, at least, in your profile, or each initial post will likely get you more useful responses.  Someone might pop up, and and say "hey, I have 200 extra eggs, 50 miles from you, cheap"  (OK, don't hold your breath on the cheap part).

You will need a brooder, and maybe grow out pens for the chicks left over after you fill the surrogator.  Then, I would suggest planning on no more than 50% hatch.  (God, did I just agree with birdlover?)  I say this for two reasons.  First, you're a beginner, right?  And second, and most important, the final numbers are more urgent than they would be, if you were just wanting to try your hand at hatching a few.

The best advice I can give you, though, is to just order 125-150 chicks.  Save the incubation headaches for another time.  I know Jason suggests putting the chicks in, as soon as they arrive, or as soon as they are dry, but I would suggest putting them in at 7-10 days.  They will not have tamed any, by then, and it's better to have the weak ones die in a brooder, than the surrogator.

All the above applies to Pheasant, or Chukars, too.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:25:47 AM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
student

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »

Sounds like good advice. I will have to drive at least 2 1/2 hours to the nearest place to pick up chicks. How well does receiving chicks through the post office work?
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:47:28 PM »

(God, did I just agree with birdlover?)  

yep wilder you did! s020

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »

Strongly agree with wildgamebirder
Feed the chicks ground boiled egg yolks a week first
Makes for super start and culls week birds at home
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »