Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:20:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  When to Quit Incubating for Season??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When to Quit Incubating for Season??  (Read 5297 times)
Pretty_Bird

« on: August 20, 2008, 06:39:53 PM »

Looking for information on when is the best time of year to stop incubating Northern Bobwhite quail to be housed in flight pens out side?

I personally did not want to run the incubator any more this year but a fellow has asked me to try to raise him 100 Northern bobs to 6 weeks old. To me that is pretty young but he has had quail for several years so I guess he knows what he wants.
At that age they are to young to train dogs with -- Aren't they????
I have never trained a dog so I have no idea.
I do know his flight pen is outside, it is covered by a roof but not too well protected  from weather at all from the sides.
If I ran the incubator now it would be middle of September by the time they hatch and then 6 weeks would put it the end of October to the first of November.
Missouri weather is usually cold especially at night about that time of year. So would they be OK if he put them out side with NO heat and little protection from wind and such?
  Now I must back up and simply say I have never seen anything but his flight pen. He may very well have other accommodations for them I am not aware of.....
But I wouldn't want to go to all the trouble to get them up to 6 weeks old and have them be  basically killed due to neglect ( for lack of better word)

I thought about telling him to wait until Spring but then I thought he is offering $3.50 a bird at 6 weeks old. That is hard to say no to, especially if they can make it.
What do you guys think?

When do you stop for they years production?

Thanks for your help and Opinions.
 Pretty_Bird
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:30:38 PM »

I'd be tickled to death to sell him 100, or 10,000 6 week old quail for $3.50.  Have him call me!  s020

The only little problem I see is that they may still need a little auxiliary heat/brooding, but that's not a problem for a small number of birds.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »

I just threw 50+ BW's in incubator yesterday and plan on releasing them around the first of November.............in Ohio, where it has snowed before Halloween in the past.

For $3.50 a bird, I wouldn't care what they where doing with them........they'll be fine at that age anyway.

I doubt that any experienced individual would be willing to pay $3.50 a bird just to neglect them or just up and let them die.  Those birds are tough and if you "season" them properly, they'll do just fine.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:58:53 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »

I just threw 50+ BW's in incubator yesterday and plan on releasing them around the first of November.............in Ohio, where it has snowed before Halloween in the past.

For $3.50 a bird, I wouldn't care what they where doing with them........they'll be fine at that age anyway.

What did these Bobwhites do to you, that made you that mad?

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

s20

For cryin' outloud!  Just like dealin' with my wife!

EDITED:

I just set 50+ BW eggs in incubator yesterday. Of those that hatch and have successfully completed the brooding period required, I plan on releasing them around the first of November.............in Ohio, where it has snowed before Halloween (merely a reference to possible temperatures) in the past. Although it has been known to snow (flurries, no accumalation), we most generally don't get any significant snowfall until January or February. It's also been 80 degrees in December here too.  Weather here can be 20 degrees one day and 60 the next.

^-^

:razz:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »

s20

For cryin' outloud!  Just like dealin' with my wife!

^-^

:razz:

Like her more, all the time.  I first thought she just had poor taste, in men.  I now see that she is trying to improve the world.  Glad to know you're not going to keep them imprisoned in the incubator, 'till Nov.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »