Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:54:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Iowa
| | | |-+  releasing quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: releasing quail  (Read 7053 times)
sham

« on: August 05, 2008, 04:31:34 AM »

So what are the laws with raising and releasing quail on my own property?  Honestly I just like the idea of raising and especially hatching a few out every year.  Am I right that you do not require a permit to have the quail so long as they are for your personal use and you are not selling them? 

Other option is there any where in eastern iowa I could get them processed for meat without it costing an excessive amount?  I actually could use the meat but I don't really want to do it myself.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »

go fine you a school age kid and pay him or her 6 or 7 bucks an hour show them how you want the quail dressed and there you go...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »

Iowa DNR contact: webmaster@dnr.iowa.gov
This is the place to send an email asking for all the rules regarding raising and releasing quail as well as other wild game.
In short you can raise wild game for personal consumption, showing at fairs etc. and dog training without a permit. The dog training includes releasing to shoot for retrieval. Kind of grey area as to whether these birds need tagged in case you miss the shot, should write first for clarification.
to raise for sale of either eggs or birds you need a permit. not hard to get.
Releasing as coveys for restocking or on a private game ranch I don't know the rules for. Definitely write to the DNR for your intended purpose.
Most times they reply within a few days. During hunting season it takes up to two weeks.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »