Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  setting on a nest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: setting on a nest  (Read 10914 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: June 09, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »

My quail finally started to lay eggs about a month ago. At first they laid them all over the pen. I moved the eggs together on some straw and then they laid the rest (mostly) around them.
When there got to be a dozen I thought the hens would start to set the eggs. No luck.
Today I decided to gather the eggs laid and put them in the incubator. I left two out in the nest and brought the twentyfive others in. One of the other hens has picked a new place to start laying. Now I have two nest spots with a pair of eggs in both.
My question is this. How do you get the quail to set on the eggs to hatch naturally?

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »

That would be nice if I could get them to do that then I would not need a incubator. Caged birds hardly ever hatch there own. s176 Thank ya Jim
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:07:16 AM »

:grin:
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:40:49 PM »

I would say Jim is absolutely correct.    (hardly ever hatch their own)   As my bobs will start a nest here or there in their cage, lay eggs in it but they have never become broody.
 I think I'm with Reeves,  :grin:  but I'm not sure.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »

The grin is because: all my birds go broody.
I have a Valley hen sitting right now, for her 3rd year in a row. I have a Reeves hen sitting right now. Had all three Golden go broody this year (including the male). Amherst hens had been broody (took the eggs away, same with the Golden).

I found out many years ago, if you make the right pen/environment they'll do the job.
If you have to many in a pen, it's (generally) a waste of time. Best case, is pairs only.
It also is a must to never bother the nest. About the most I will do now, is sometimes candle the eggs at about 1/2 way through incubation.

Make sure it is set up so the chicks will have no problems with food and water. No big drops where they are unable to stat with the hen.
Mainly common sense stuff.......

In years past I always mowed the grass in the pens. This year I'm leaving it. Want to see how things go and how well the birds like it. So far I have noticed the Reeves eating the grass seed heads.
The only weed free areas at my place are inside the pens. Drives the wife nuts though ! Now she wants to kill all the dandelions in the lawn  ::)
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 01:47:37 AM »

(all my birds go broody) ?  Do all game birds go broody? Or  could it be you know what you are doing, because this is my second year at trying to raise Pheasants and most of the time I don't have a cue.
I'll be sure I do this    ( Make sure it is set up so the chicks will have no problems with food and water. No big drops where they are unable to stat with the hen)  Thanks again
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:34:34 AM »

Not all "game birds" go broody.
Most of the people that have them do so, are just plain lucky, or been raising birds for a long time.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 07:55:40 AM »

It is a natural thing for a gamebird hen to go broody if she is placed in a natural type environment with plenty of room on the ground without any interference from over crowding and frequent interruptions. They just have to feel safe.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:57:17 AM by slider » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 08:08:37 AM »

I have RN hens and Melanistic hens that will sit full term and hatch. These birds are in with the general population, nesting either on the ground in round 16" bowls 2 hens in each or up on a second tier shelf hesting in bowls.

Keep in mind that these birds are 2 and 3 year olds, and the 1 year olds don't seem to want to get with the program.  s020

All total I think I have now over ten hens doing this. I believe they do this just to get away from the cock birds.

When the chicks hatch and dry, I just take them and place them in the brooder. Those are my cheap hatches.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »

Thanks guys for the reply.  It all helps.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:46:34 PM »

(all my birds go broody) ?  Do all game birds go broody? Or  could it be you know what you are doing, because this is my second year at trying to raise Pheasants and most of the time I don't have a cue.
I'll be sure I do this    ( Make sure it is set up so the chicks will have no problems with food and water. No big drops where they are unable to stat with the hen)  Thanks again

I have RN hens and Melanistic hens that will sit full term and hatch. These birds are in with the general population, nesting either on the ground in round 16" bowls 2 hens in each or up on a second tier shelf hesting in bowls.

Keep in mind that these birds are 2 and 3 year olds, and the 1 year olds don't seem to want to get with the program.  s020

All total I think I have now over ten hens doing this. I believe they do this just to get away from the cock birds.

When the chicks hatch and dry, I just take them and place them in the brooder. Those are my cheap hatches.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

jbird,

Here are some pictures

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:48:10 PM »

More hens

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »

and more hens

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »

and still more hens j2

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »

Wall bucket hens  s020

I don't do anything special. I just make sure there is straw. When the hen starts to sit, I just leave her there and check each day to make sure there is someone sitting on the nest. If they vacate, I remove the eggs.

If they are incline to re-nest, them I let them. I don't candle or fuss with the hens. When I hear the chicks chirping, and they are completely dry, that is when I will remove and place in the brooder.

I think I am up to 13 hens sitting. Average clutch size is 10-12 eggs. If they all hatch that is 169 +/_ chicks that was a freebee.

All these hens are in the general population. I don't do Pheasant Maternity Wards

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »