Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:01:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  new eggs just in
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new eggs just in  (Read 10889 times)
minhlac
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

I recently put in an order for 50 Gamble eggs and they arrived after 2 days!  I also received 3 extra eggs "just in case".  I have already put them in my Hova-Bator so we'll see how it goes.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:00:35 PM »

First time to hatch?  Don't forget to turn them about 3 times a day (side to side).

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
minhlac
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »

Yeah, this will be my first time hatching. 

I cant keep a steady temperature with the thermostat wafer.  My digital thermometer ranges the temperature from 99.9 to 99.0, so basically, at 99.0 the fan and heat turns on than at 99.9 it turns off, and it does this about every 45 seconds to a 1 minute. 

What should my humidity be?  I have both wells filled and 3 extra bowls filled with water inside the incubator yet my humidity ready still reads only 45%, what can I do?

Please advise, thanks.

Best,
David
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »

Look here:

http://www.homestead.com/shilala/Howlongtohatch.html

and here:

http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/humidity.htm

That temp range should be ok, I wish mine held that steady. I would think that with that much water surface, that your humidity should be higher than that. Your humidistat may not be reading correctly?  Does that incubator have vent holes with plugs that can be taken out? If so, try closing them off if there open, especially if there is an open hole that goes directly to the fan.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
minhlac
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »

Thanks for the link, the humidity and temp info is great and i'm feeling better about my average internal egg temp.  I have 2 red plugs on mine and both are closed.  I am using a digital thermometer/hydrometer.  My thermometer matches up with the thermometer that came with the incubator so I hope my temperature readings are correct.  As for humidity... i'm not sure what to do?

sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:06:44 PM »

did you put the eggs in right when they got to you?  you should of let them sit for up to 12-24 hours before you set them.  you will find out that you will get a better hatch that way.
minhlac
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:12:12 PM »

oops...  didn't know that.  I only waited about 3 hours.  I read that on the link you sent me about the air pocket returning back to its place...

On a side note, how long does it take for mature Cortunix to start laying eggs?  I just put 16.5 hours of light on today.  I've read somewhere that it takes about a week, what do you think?
Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 11:54:26 PM »

Here is just a thought about your humidity problem.

It sounds like you have quite a bit of water and since (I think) the heat from your wet bulb is what produces the humidity in your incubator. Maybe you have to much water. It may help to remove some water.

Just a thought.
minhlac
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 09:53:05 AM »

I removed one of my three bowls of water.

What does it mean when maybe 20% of the top viewing plastic is covered with condensation? <----too much water?  is it not supposed to be there?

Also, this morning I turned my eggs and the temperature dropped 5 degrees inside, and took about 10 min to get back up to 99.5-99.7 degrees.  If I do this 2-3 times a day will there be a problem in the long run?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »

You shouldn't have condensation in your incubator during incubation. It is likely too much humidity & that can cause a host of problems. In your Hovabator there are two channels & only one is normally used during incubation, both channels during hatching. It came with instructions on which channels to use & when ?

In nature the hen will get off a nest for extended times, each day. Takes a long time for eggs to cool. Don't worry. (next time get the auto turner  :laugh:)

A note about humidity. To increase, you have to increase the surface area. To lower, less surface area.

If you do not trust your hygometer, get a new one.
minhlac
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 10:27:10 PM »

Took your advice and got a new hydrometer.  WOW, 96%!!!!  ouch, I removed all the extra bowls of water and i'm letting the top plastic dry up from all the condensation, we'll see tomorrow how everything dries up a bit. As for the Temp... I have three different thermometers and they ALL have different readings from +/- 3 degrees.  My plan is to go to the chemistry lab tomorrow and get a scientific/chemistry grade thermometer and go from that.
minhlac
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 08:57:43 PM »

Just candled some of the eggs.  Of the 8 I candled, 6 had visible blood vessels (like spiderweb) and 2 were clear with no visible signs of any blood vessels developing.  Hopefully the humidity shock didn't hurt them too badly.  6 out of 8 isn't that bad I guess, havent checked the other 45 eggs... didn't want to keep opening and closing the incubator too often, I open it enough turning eggs--- by the way, just ordered myself an automatic egg turner with quail racks!  :laugh:

Will keep updating progress.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 09:06:16 PM »

Just candled some of the eggs.  Of the 8 I candled, 6 had visible blood vessels (like spiderweb) and 2 were clear with no visible signs of any blood vessels developing.  Hopefully the humidity shock didn't hurt them too badly.  6 out of 8 isn't that bad I guess, havent checked the other 45 eggs... didn't want to keep opening and closing the incubator too often, I open it enough turning eggs--- by the way, just ordered myself an automatic egg turner with quail racks!  :laugh:

Will keep updating progress.

I take the top completely off of mine and candle them all at once, rotating their position in the incubator as I put them back in, takes about 10 minutes. It will not hurt them at all at this stage to take lid off for that short period.

How long had they been incubating before candling them?  It's only been 6 days since your first post on this thread, I usually do it on the 10th day.

minhlac
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 09:42:33 PM »

I just read online before I candled them that you can see the veins at 6 days and that this should be when you candle them.  They also said to remove any eggs with a blood ring because thats a "dead" egg and the ring is concentrated areas of bacteria that may burst your egg.  I'll probably use your method this time next week to candle them once more and separate the clear ones from the developing eggs.

All the picture on the internet are of white chicken eggs, these speckled quail eggs are a little harder to see but the signs of life are there...
minhlac
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 12:33:15 PM »

Hello there, just an update.

Just candled my eggs again, I took your advice and candled all of them at once.

Out of the 53 eggs I started with, I had 41 eggs developing (dark inside) 3 eggs a little clear with a blood ring, and 9 clear eggs.  I guess so far thats a 77% fertility rate. 

From your experiences, the supplier (DKQuails) said they had an 85% fertility rate, is this lower percentage usually associated with eggs that were shipped? 

Also from your experiences, of the 41 eggs developing, what % of that should hatch?

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »