Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:48:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  free range
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: free range  (Read 6934 times)
fishinguy165
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:15:38 PM »

We live in a rural area and have a small flock of free range chickens, i was wondering if pheasants and quail can be raised free range. I have heard that pheasants don't have the same roosting instinct as chickens and can be prone to wandering off.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:06:03 AM »

To say it is the simplest way... no. lol.  :laugh:

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 02:45:40 AM »

We live in a rural area and have a small flock of free range chickens, i was wondering if pheasants and quail can be raised free range. I have heard that pheasants don't have the same roosting instinct as chickens and can be prone to wandering off.

Well, I have to disagree with jk
To say it is the simplest way... no. lol.   

I have Manchurian Ring-neckeds and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants that either escape or what I had release that have been hanging around for more then a year. If there is food and cover they will stay around. It also depends on the predator factor also.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

I don't raise quail, so I can't comment on that.

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:49:22 AM »

I know that Bobwhite Quail will hang around for quite a while during warm weather, only if you have some caged birds. They will call "talk" to each other alot, although that only draws attention to themselves! :(  I had all of my birds (I don't remember how many...25-50?), except one male, get loose last summer and they stayed close by the house as the caged male got horse from calling so much, never seen them, but could always hear them all day long for a month or two....... then silence from the "wild birds"!   If you don't have caged birds to keep them "called in", they will split the scene within a day or two, or just simply get killed by another animal.

No caged birds=  No "temporary free range" birds (Bobs anyway).

No comment on the pheasants.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:41:33 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 07:25:08 PM »

Well, they will hang around if the habitat is suitable.. but don't expect to see them too often or anything. What I mean is that they won't be able to be free ranged like a chicken, for example. Before you ever release anything, check your local laws regarding the issue, whether or not you need permit/s, etc.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »

Before you ever release anything, check your local laws regarding the issue, whether or not you need permit/s

I concur
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »

I personally wouldn't intentionally release any quail or pheasants for the purpose of expecting any of them to hang around the place, "free ranging". 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
fishinguy165
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 12:57:16 PM »

Thanks for the heads up, I will probobly hold off raising game birds for now, and just stick to hunting them.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:24:54 AM »

The USDA has a definition of free range and it actually includes cages.
finnegan

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »

Hi the best way would be to have a pen and keep the females inside let the cock birds free range they normally stay close to the hens but you will bneed cover for them to avoid preditors jim
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 09:41:07 AM by finnegan » Logged
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 12:38:06 PM »

I cannot find the USDA definition of 'free range' anymore.  Can someone help find it as it refers to poultry?
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »

I had a few ringnecks get loose 2 roosters and 3 hens. neighbors kids opened the door to the pen. lucky I didn't loose them all. padlocks on the pen doors now. they hung around for a few days. I tried to lure them back into the pen with food. no luck.they dissapeared. guy from down the road stopped by about a week later and said he saw a pheasant walking beside the road near his house. he then offered me a ride to the spot if I wanted to catch the bird.
I thought to myself sure let me get my 20ga net.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »