Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 12:36:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  wood chips in waterer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wood chips in waterer  (Read 4211 times)
chizekfarm
« on: May 23, 2004, 10:39:15 AM »

i think im going try carpet samples in my broader.  it seems that the wood chips just fill the water tray.  has anyone tryed this or is there anything that works better?
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 11:47:15 AM »

Never tried carpet in the brooder.  Keep an eye on it as it can be a fire hazard and it also can be a major bacteria collector as well.  Have you tried the plastic/vinyl shelving material for your brooder.  We use it when we floor brood and it works great.  You can get it by the roll at Wal-Mart near the dishes section.  Keep a couple on hand and every few days when one gets dirty just replace it with the new one.  Then take the dirt one outside, spray it with some disinfectant and spray it off with your water hose and let the sun dry it off.  Works really well.  Also helps your chicks because the tiny grooves help them keep their stance.  Wood shavings are a pain for waterers.  A solution for that is to get a self watering cup system or possibly raise the waterer up just enough for them to reach it.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
greatxtc04
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »

Thanx Larry, Never thought about using that kind of shelf liner, but that would work better than paper towels (which would get expensive) to use. Someone told me that the paper towels would work well,but I think I wil go for the liners. thanx again.
CHARLIE

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 05:18:57 PM »

I HAVE BEEN USEING PAPER TOWELS IN MY BROODERS FOR YEARS (G.Q.F) WITH NO PROBLEMS, AS FOR COST I BUY MINE IN 6 PACK ROLLS FOR ABOUT $4.OO A PACK AT DOLLAR GENERAL STORES.
      CHARLIE
      BACKYARD GAMEBIRD FARM
      DELAWARE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
chizekfarm
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 12:41:02 AM »

i want to use it for day olds.  im not sure what you are talking about. who makes it and what is it call exactly?  i dont want anything that would be slick.  thanks red o.g.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 01:21:22 AM »

Here is a pic of the rubber shelf linner. I use it for the first 10 days , then they go onto good alfalfa hay, mostly chaff. Provide grit from day one so they know what it is. Never had a problem. This stuff works great ! Helps prevent leg problems, is easy to clean & sterilize ! I keep a couple cut to size & when I take one out replace with a clean one.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »