Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:25:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Shell's to tough ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shell's to tough ?  (Read 2860 times)
drwink
Expert Member

« on: May 04, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »

I seem to have a problem with my hatches, seems that fertility is good when candled. At least 75-90% shows growth, but when hatching I only get 30-50% of a hatch, others I have given eggs to seem to have the same problem.
When humidity is raised at the last 3 days, I tought this aids the chicks in coming out (I thought the shells get kind of crumbly in the end but they are not) but alot of shells get the pecking circle but after examining the shells, they seem pretty thick & not completely broken all the way around & alot of them don't even get out. By the time I try aiding them they are to weak & don't make it.
I have the layers on Purina Layena & I have some oyster shell in the breeder cage - could this be making the shells to tough ?
Or should I be looking at something else for the cause ?

Thanks
Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:24:29 PM »

Are your eggs being turned on a regular basis until the last few days?  Also how are your humidity levels?

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
quailman
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 05:18:47 PM »

How long are you keeping eggs before setting them?  More than 10 days storage seems to  increase this problem.  That is what we have concluded anyway.  Too low humidity can be another cause, chicks are usually sticky when they hatch and the ones that don't come out on their own are stuck to the egg pretty tight.  Let us know if your chicks were sticky or not.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:50:56 AM »

The double post on in a new thread, must have clicked the wrong button.

No chicks sticking to the shells, the ones that come out come out clean & easy on their own. So its not a turner problem. I only save eggs for 10 days & turn while stored.

My have found my problem ? Or should I say my wife did. I have been giving them a little bowl with oyster shell in it. She gives this to her chickens, but because she sells the eggs for eating.
This may be part of it anyway, if they are to tough but may not tell the whole story.

I took this away & don't know how long it will be before this is out of their system. I have another batch due out next week & I will see what happens this time. the next batch I put in will be with out oyster shell supplements.
I'll post the results when they come along, but any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:35:48 PM »

Crushed oyster shells are an excellent source of calcium for your birds so I doubt that may be your entire problem.  I've had a similar problem last week for chickens at school and one of the main problems was turning and humidity.  I would try hatching the eggs before 10 days as that is kind of stretching it if theyre not stored at a cool temperature.  Also double check the protein level for your birds.  Try hatching your eggs at 3-5 days on storage at max and see what the outcome is.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »