Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:51:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Hatcher help?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hatcher help?  (Read 2205 times)
chukarboy

« on: April 08, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »

I typically set my eggs all at once and use my incubator (Octagon 20 DX pro) as the hatcher also.

This year I'm going to have eggs set at different times and  don't want to hatch with other eggs still cooking.

I have a hova -bator (Styrofoam forced convection) that I was thinking of using as my hatcher but I don't like the fact that humidity and temperature is so erratic. I was thinking of buying another Octagon without the cradle and use it as my hatcher. Is this a good idea? Is there another better more economical way with the same results? I only would hatch 10 to 20 (pheasants and quail) eggs at a time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! 
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:19:37 PM »

I use a R-COM 20 for incubation and a Little Giant as a hatcher.
I think its fine. You will be lowering your temp and raising your humidity during the hatch anyway.
This is what works for me others may have different opinions.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
chukarboy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

Thanks Pete,

I had the R-con 20 and it was terrible. I sent it back and got the Octagon.  I thought it looked cool when I first got it. I did not get through a hatch with it because I noticed some problems with it.

1. The floor moves when turning the eggs and has no adjustment how much it moves. I marked the top of my pheasant eggs them 360 deg.

2. When it would turn the eggs it would spin them against the wall and turn them small end up.

3. When I called Brinsea ( the distributor) they told me that they were going to stop selling them because of all the complaints and poor product support (warranty claims)   

I will look up the little giant, My budget is already stretched and I didn't want to spend the extra cash for another Octagon.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:30:51 AM »

I've read about the problems with the R-COM  also. It appears that some work well and others don't.

Mine has worked well for me. I have heard the same about them discontinuing the unit due to problems with the manufacturer.

The LG is just a Styrofoam low end unit. It is touchy but works well for me as a hatcher.

It's all about the money you want to spend.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »