Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  What kind of antibiotics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What kind of antibiotics?  (Read 9884 times)
colt22

Personal Text

« on: November 10, 2009, 01:22:38 PM »

??? I am a new member and I searched the topics but never found anything on what type of antibiotics one might use in baby quail drinking water to help prevent sickness. I am not saying they are sick , I was just wanting to help prevent any problems. I know when I raised them long ago I used something but can't remember. Thanks for anyone help on this subject.
Robert

Its a good day when you walk outside in the morning and hear a bobwhite quail.
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »

You could have a talk with your local feed store. They should have some knowledge and carry whats needed or can get it. They wouldn't be in business if they didn't know something about what they were doing. There's water soluble vitamins, electrolytes, antibiotics, feed supplements and medicated feeds as a preventative and for treatments. none are cure-alls. Read the labels

Here's some what of a guide that gives explanations.
http://msucares.com/poultry/feeds/bwqfeed.html#vita
colt22

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:18:24 AM »

Thanks for the advise. The only place we have around here now is Tractor Supply. I saw the vitamins and electrolytes but never found any type of water soluble antibiotics. I  will have to find me an old fashion feed store. I may just order some from the internet. Thanks again Robert

Its a good day when you walk outside in the morning and hear a bobwhite quail.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »

Chicks should not need any antibiotics. They will get that from their mom in the same way humans do.  The yolk sac provides them with all they need to start out.  If you give them medicine or antibiotics when they don't need it, they could develop an immunity to the meds and the meds will not perform for you when you may need them.

I do start my chicks, after the first 18 to 24 hours in the hatcher, on GroGel B.  Its mostly a soft gel supplement that they like while they are getting used to ground feed.   I rarely give any of my birds meds other than wormer for the pheasant when they are older.

Thanks

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
greyghost
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »

Little Bear, you are soooo right.  If you use meds for prevention you may make cause a stronger virus by not killing it, but causing it to mutate so the prescribed drug has no effect. Ghost.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »