Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Tick season is once again upon us.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tick season is once again upon us.  (Read 9686 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: May 06, 2008, 06:17:18 AM »

Whether we go out to the local parks or we take that hike in the woods, or just working around the farm, once again the tick season is upon us.

As we all know having this around the house can turn into disaster. Having house dogs, farm dogs and hunting dogs. They all must go outside one way or another and there chances are just as good, having a tick hitch a ride.

Of course living in a residential neighbor hood just outside the city with a fenced yard and the lawn treated will greatly lower the risks. So far this season, I have had 1 my wife 4 and the dogs 6 that I have found. The ones that I have found and my wife also where in the house coming from the dogs.

Lyme Disease Transmission
The Lyme disease bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi, normally lives in mice, squirrels and other small animals. It is transmitted among these animals – and to humans – through the bites of certain species of ticks. In the northeastern and north-central United States, the black-legged tick (or deer tick, Ixodes scapularis) transmits Lyme disease. In the Pacific coastal United States, the disease is spread by the western black-legged tick (Ixodes pacificus). Other major tick species found in the United States have not been shown to transmit Borrelia burgdorferi.

Blacklegged (or deer) ticks (Ixodes scapularis and Ixodes pacificus) can transmit several tick-borne diseases including anaplasmosis, babesiosis and Lyme disease. An adult tick is pictured at left, though it is the smaller nymphal stage ticks which most commonly bite humans.

American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis) as well as the Rocky Mountain wood tick (Dermacentor andersoni) can transmit many diseases including Rocky Mountain spotted fever and tularemia.
American dog tick

More info can be found here: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_transmission.htm

There is a lot of valuable information on this CDC site. Make it a favorite.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
GSP4

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:32:15 AM »

Thank you for the info. and link Pheasant Hollow.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 06:58:26 AM »

Thank you for the info. and link Pheasant Hollow.

GSP4,

Your  s016

Just to much info out there not to share.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »

Thanks Steve   GREAT INFO.......I killed a Deer this year and he had a million ticks on him...Ticks will leave a animal with in a few minutes after death...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »

Not that this is a veterinary forum, but since that is my area fo expertise, in dogs and cats anyhow, I feel that I should say something here about fleas and ticks on the little guys. And gals... There is a new product out this year for dogs and cats called Promeris. You may have seen it on television or in print, but if you haven't... It contains Amitraz to kill the ticks. It's a new formulation and seems to be working very well! Has a bit of an odor, but it's nothing anyone that has ever been around something other than a pampered pooch can't handle... There have been some issues with Frontline not working as well as it used to and the Promeris seems to be banking on that this year. So, if you need something for Fido or Fluffy so that they don't bring any of those pesky little thinks into your bed, call your vet and check into it. Just my 2 cents...
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »

Thats COOL!!!!!! thanks... s98

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
laughingbear

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »

A good friend of mine back home in Wisconsin got Lyme Disease.  Some days he cant even move it hurts so bad.  So please be careful.  And if you have to pull a tick from you, please make sure you get the head.  Also, if a red ring forms around the bite, please go see the doc

Never meddle in the affairs of Hackers, Geeks, or Nerds.  For they are subtle and quick to anger.
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 09:05:29 AM »

There's alot of them around here already this year too.  Neighbor pulled 5 off of him the other day . I had 3 on myself yesterday and I barely touched the ground in the fields. I never had a single one on me last year.  :-|  Or they just died and fell off after getting a taste?  s47

I think their kinda neat, I usually let them feed until their about the size of a grape before I'll pull them off. Then freeze them in a plastic jar. After you've accumulated a few dozen, take them out of freezer and use them in a paint ball gun on a unsuspecting opponent for a more realistic effect.  People may look at ya funny when there's a few large ones sticking out of your scalp, but it's for a good cause and people won't crowd your seat when you're at a NASCAR race.  

^-^
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:16:13 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »

I never had a single one on me last year.  :-|  Or they just died and fell off after getting a taste?  s47

^-^

Wouldn't it be a hoot  Maybe you could get a grant to determine if Budweiser (applied internally, of course) is a natural arachnid repellent.

I'll volunteer,  Tommy in Tyler can be the control group, and the slobbering old Canadian can test the topical efficiency.      spider
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:16:30 AM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »

I think their kinda neat, I usually let them feed until their about the size of a grape before I'll pull them off. Then freeze them in a plastic jar. After you've accumulated a few dozen, take them out of freezer and use them in a paint ball gun on a unsuspecting opponent for a more realistic effect.  People may look at ya funny when there's a few large ones sticking out of your scalp, but it's for a good cause and people won't crowd your seat when you're at a NASCAR race.  

^-^

There might be a hell of a big market for them in Hollyweird for special effects.

On the other hand, is it remotely possible that you are a Redneck?  Maybe Foxworthy needs to get out there and test you.

GSP4

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »

Not that this is a veterinary forum, but since that is my area fo expertise, in dogs and cats anyhow, I feel that I should say something here about fleas and ticks on the little guys. And gals... There is a new product out this year for dogs and cats called Promeris. You may have seen it on television or in print, but if you haven't... It contains Amitraz to kill the ticks. It's a new formulation and seems to be working very well! Has a bit of an odor, but it's nothing anyone that has ever been around something other than a pampered pooch can't handle... There have been some issues with Frontline not working as well as it used to and the Promeris seems to be banking on that this year. So, if you need something for Fido or Fluffy so that they don't bring any of those pesky little thinks into your bed, call your vet and check into it. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the info Jaime,  came just in time, taking 2 of our dogs in for thier checkup and yearly shots today. I'll be sure to ask to talk to the vet about it
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »

Rastus`s Momma was calling him...Rastus where you at...Rastus said...unda da house...Momma said ..what you doing unda da house?..Rastus...eatn raisens..Momma..where did you get them raisens???  Rastus...off da dog.....

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »

Rastus`s Momma was calling him...Rastus where you at...Rastus said...unda da house...Momma said ..what you doing unda da house?..Rastus...eatn raisens..Momma..where did you get them raisens???  Rastus...off da dog.....

You are one sick puppy.... s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 02:06:33 PM »

It seems to work well enough, HOWEVER, there may be problems.

I thought this was the same product a friend had tried, and reported on his web site.  It is.

Just as background, Dave Jones has raised dozens, and trained hundreds of hunting dogs (mostly Brittanys).  He grew up in Kansas, Mississippi, and Texas.  Hunting around opperating oil wells, he has experienced stink!  Bird dogs routeinly roll in dead carcasses.  His dogs are not fufu mutts, and neither is he  Deb puts up with him, and his smelly dogs, and is the one who gets up to let the puppy out at 3 a.m. while traveling.  So she is no wimp.  He is an honorable man, and has nothing to lose, or gain by relating his experiences, other than reputation.

All of that is to let you know this is not just some joker with a couple of dogs, and a weak stomach.  Or a factory rep for Frontline.

This is the link to his experience.

http://chiefsbrittanys.com/2008/04/15/i-was-a-promeris-user-for-one-month/#more-137

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »

It seems to work well enough, HOWEVER, there may be problems.

I thought this was the same product a friend had tried, and reported on his web site.  It is.

Just as background, Dave Jones has raised dozens, and trained hundreds of hunting dogs (mostly Brittanys).  He grew up in Kansas, Mississippi, and Texas.  Hunting around opperating oil wells, he has experienced stink!  Bird dogs routeinly roll in dead carcasses.  His dogs are not fufu mutts, and neither is he  Deb puts up with him, and his smelly dogs, and is the one who gets up to let the puppy out at 3 a.m. while traveling.  So she is no wimp.  He is an honorable man, and has nothing to lose, or gain by relating his experiences, other than reputation.

All of that is to let you know this is not just some joker with a couple of dogs, and a weak stomach.  Or a factory rep for Frontline.

This is the link to his experience.

http://chiefsbrittanys.com/2008/04/15/i-was-a-promeris-user-for-one-month/#more-137

Gee, at least you could have made it a hot link s176  Now I have to copy and paste.

Here I will do it for you. http://chiefsbrittanys.com/2008/04/15/i-was-a-promeris-user-for-one-month/#more-137

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:30:39 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »