Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Winter Wonderland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Wonderland  (Read 13217 times)
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 08:03:57 PM »

Those sizes (15sq') are not for keeping Pheasants as pets, I would suggest that is what you would need for Breeding prs., where you would be releasing all in the fall.
If you have roots growing on that stump, I will walk from Alberta and let you shove it up my  s53.

Lord I got to get a life, here it is Fri. night and I'm doing this. s176

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 08:44:39 PM »

j45
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »

I've planted  many logs from oak trees in my yard, You wouldn't believe how much better they grow than oak seeds.  I usually split each log into 4-6 pieces, so I can get more trees out of each log.  Of course, you have to take the bark off for them to grow........everybody knows that.  My last Christmas tree, I got 46 trees out of it by cutting off each limb and planting it in Miracle Grow Plant Food.

s20

"Wonderland".......without a doubt.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:57:58 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 12:01:52 AM »

OMG, I just spit soda all over my laptop.   j45

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »

Sorry about that Teresa, if it needs fixing send me the bill :grin:

C.H.
I too have seen that here, of course it only works with the non coniferous varieties.
Some of the farmers here will plant them every 10-12,' then they attach some sort of wire to them, (I think it's to help them stand up better), mostly the wire has a kind of a barb sticking out of it,
(I think that is to keep the animals away while the roots start.)
Some of the real rich farmers will have miles and miles of these new saplings, they also work well as a FENCE!
 j44

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 08:11:53 AM »

j32

c53
 a28

Birdlover.........cut trees will not grow, at all.  An evergreen will stay greener longer if the stump is setting on the ground, kinda like giving the tree water when it is in the house.  I've taken discarded evergreen trees and dug a hole with a post hole digger in order to hold it upright and the trees will stay green and hold their needles for alot longer time. There's very few trees that one can get to start roots and grow from a peice of the tree.....Weeping Willow is one.  Evergreens is not.    s47

i9
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:54:21 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »

Hi,
Thanks for the help, I know that the tree may not get any roots buts its worth a try, if it doesn't get roots i'll use the tree as cover for my pens, they'll appreciate it. I've tried Weeping Willow last year, i placed some branches in a bucket of water in a month or so i had great roots, worked out awesome. Have you guys tried planting fruit seeds, i'm having a lot of luck with them, i know they most likey won't set fruit but even if they do it would take at least around 4 years. I have orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, i'm trying pineapple right now and maybe coconut and papaya, we'll see how they will go.

As for the pheasants, here were the websites where i read the space requirements from:

web1.msue.msu.edu/poultry/poultry/e692/e692.pdf                                    (under "Commercial Pheasant Production", "Most breeder pheasants require 25 to 30 square ft of space.........")

www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/dayoldchicks.pdf        (On page 10  "Pens")

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »

did I start this ?? I was joking. i thought he took the picture crooked or something . now I,m starting to think  birdlover is actually DR Frankenstein. it,s aaaliive!! p33 I,m laughing so hard at these comments that my kids came out of there rooms to see if I was allright. Labmancan, that would hurt  s020

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 02:07:01 PM »

Hi,
Thanks for the help, I know that the tree may not get any roots buts its worth a try, if it doesn't get roots i'll use the tree as cover for my pens, they'll appreciate it.
I guess that I must have confused you.......or I just don't speak your language? :-|

It's not that it "may not"........it will not.......there's absolutely, positively, not a chance of any kind that it will grow any kind of root whatsoever, anywhere, anytime, anyplace, for any reason., this year, next year, this winter or this summer on this planet. Your efforts are futile with that type of tree and most others.

DUDE!!    :-[  The tree is dead.

s47

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 02:08:45 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

hi,
the tree is dead, then like i said i'll use it for cover for my pens, i have other evergreen seedling hopefully i'll have luck with those, i know for sure those have roots. No more planting cut evergreens for me...Thanks!!!

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 05:30:51 PM »

Birddog;
You bet it would, but I feel fairly safe in the knowledge, that it is one experience I would not have to suffer. j41

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »

Labmancan. at least you would be comfortable under his  pineapple trees sipping a corona with a slice of fresh lime.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 04:42:55 AM »

Labmancan. at least you would be comfortable under his  pineapple trees sipping a corona with a slice of fresh lime.

s6

Now that depends on who is slicing the fresh lime.

http://www.healthinspections.com/video.cfm?bWVkaWFJRD0yOA==

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 01:09:14 PM »

interesting video, Pheasant Hollow Farm, boy those lemon slices had lots of germs on them, sometimes its better to just do it yourself can't trust those people in restaurants, all they want is their money, don't care about cleanliness.

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »

well that  was nasty. my daughters both work at the same popular food establishment and the story's they tell makes me wonder if there really are any health inspectors?  but I'm sure birdlovers limes are grade A+++

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »