Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:56:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Winter snares
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter snares  (Read 19723 times)
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 09:13:42 AM »

Go for it Reeves, snares are a far better death for a rabbit then a fox or great horned owl,

I have 0 tolerance for these 'people' who are so anti hunting, but will push themselves onto a hunting supported venue.

Hypocrisy afflicts us all but this is an extreme form that should be stamped out.

The moderator is far more patient then I would be.    p33

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 09:51:33 AM »

Well, the snares are still out there. Plus I'm keeping an eye out for more places !
Like you said, a hunting site is no place for anti hunters !
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »

how could you kill such a cute animal....... :x    Shame on you!!, poor rabbits.     Those rabbits didnt do anything to you and there you go around killing them.....what message are you sending to todays world......ohh thats looks good let me eat it...thats not right   ...thats cruel....Oh boy

:-o

I'm in agreement.  Reeves.....that's just down right cruel!  s47  You should be spending your time foraging for roots, bark, berries, nuts and the like, be sure to check it for any bugs, and if you find any, gently place them back where you found them. Although, that would be stealing food from the wildlife wouldn't it?  

i9

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 10:42:03 AM »

Always an idealist Charlie. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 11:19:17 AM »

I'm in agreement.  Reeves.....that's just down right cruel!    You should be spending your time foraging for roots, bark, berries, nuts and the like, be sure to check it for any bugs, and if you find any, gently place them back where you found them. Although, that would be stealing food from the wildlife wouldn't it?

Yup, a vicious circle, eh !

i4
Equismith

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 11:10:36 PM »

Nice snares. We used them in Alaska and they were very effective. It's great when you find the trails in the snow. The tighter packed the trail, the more likely you'd be getting a rabbit. Aircraft safety wire works very well.

Dodgegal79
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 11:26:44 PM »

I was wondering if these snares would work for coyotes.?And how do you make them, is there a website with instruction.?     c110
finnegan

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 11:59:20 PM »

I just read this topic tonight  it brings back a lot of  memories from growing up on a farm in Ireland  we have  lots  of rabbits they are the wild form of the  domestic rabbit every weekend  in winter from the time i was 6 with my dad and from 12 by myself  Iwould  run a string  of  100 snares along the ditches and would  normally pick up a few every night . lots of other  farmers would also call us to thin out  there fields  especially if they had winter corn sowed In the summer when the rabbits  were very plentiful i would  work ferrets  which are normally kept just for this purpose very few are kept purely for pets  none are newtered or decented the  irish rabbit lives in large  colonies underground we used a purse net  over all the  holes  and  place a ferret in end end of the warren in a few minutes the rabbits  would  bolt  into the purse nets or if the  warren was very big we used  field nets that went along the whole warren all rabbits  were used for food  inone were wasted  we ate some at our  house but most would  be sold  to butchers  who came around  every two week to pick up  on the big warrens you could take 40-50 per day  then they were left  for several months to replenish  and you moved to another  area  for the next hunt jim
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:06:16 AM by finnegan » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »

::)

aaahh...the good ole days............... :grin:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 10:15:31 AM »

Dodgegal...check with fish and feathers in B.C. for what is required. You may want to take the trapping course as well.

finnegan - I too used Ferrets to get the Cotton Tails back east ! As kids/teens we would travel by Skidoo and when you see a hole being used by them, slip the Ferret down the hole. We would then kneel down by the hole & hold both hands ready to grab them as they came out: but do be careful ! If you grab the Ferret real fast they'll bite you big time  :grin:

Yes, the good ole days  :grin:
finnegan

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 04:46:29 PM »

finnegan - I too used Ferrets to get the Cotton Tails back east ! As kids/teens we would travel by Skidoo and when you see a hole being used by them, slip the Ferret down the hole. We would then kneel down by the hole & hold both hands ready to grab them as they came out: but do be careful ! If you grab the Ferret real fast they'll bite you big time 

Yes, the good ole days 

Have ben bitten many times the fun part was when the  ferret hit a late  litter of babies they would snack out then normally curl up to sleep  so we used to have collars for radio tracking  so out would come the shovel and start digging jim
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »

I too had "lost" them down hole. But it being winter, and me being too lazy to dig out a Ferret through frozen ground, we would just stuff all the holes we could find with burlap sacks. Come back the next day , pull the sacks and out the Ferret would come !
finnegan

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »

we rarely got snow in our part of Ireland the ground only freezes for a few days in winter so we had to dig Jim
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 02:22:10 PM by finnegan » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 11:38:37 PM »

we rarely got snow in our part of Ireland the ground only freezes for a few days in winter so me had to did Jim

You just made me wonder why I live where the frost hits in Sept/Oct and is not out of the ground till May !  s47

:grin:
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 12:16:13 AM »

I was wondering if these snares would work for coyotes.?And how do you make them, is there a website with instruction.?     c110

I caught a lot of coyote, and fox with snares back in the 70s and 80s.  Heck, some of them hadn't ever done anything to me!

You'll want heavier cable than Reeves is using to murder Thumper's grand kids.  I always had better luck with double coil spring steel traps.  They are less dangerous, and more humane in populated areas where domestic dogs are likely to get into your sets.  The trapping course will address that, and is a great idea.  Many states require special snare classes, and specific breakaways that snap at a predetermined tension.

7x19 strand aircraft cable is best, more supple and stronger.  [Actually the more total strands used to acheive a certain diameter is better]  I bought some when I bought suspension cable for my flight pens, but never used it.  I think it is 1/16 inch and 3/64 inch.  It seems I used 3/16 some, but from most suppliers it would be pretty stiff.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 02:33:17 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »