Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:05:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  Who sells Coturnix quail?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who sells Coturnix quail?  (Read 5109 times)
pocketsierra
« on: March 10, 2005, 01:01:38 PM »

Does anyone sell quail, chicks, or eggs?

I'm interested in who you sell them to and how you find the buyers.

I'm raising some in the backyard, mostly for eggs to eat. But since we will have extra adults, we'll have to consider whether to eat them or if there is a market for them. We will probably also have more eggs than we will eat and could easily hatch more chicks if there are buyers.  

Nathan
Finchlake
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 10:22:12 PM »

Wish I could answer that question, as I do.

I'm producing about 50 every 4 weeks. I have not had any trouble giving them away. But the paying customer has eluded me so far. I have been giving away a few here and there to people I know are good game cooks. Hoping to create a demand for them. There is another quail farm in the area that has a small sign in his front yard. You know the carrgated plastic kind.

"Quail
Live/Dressed
$3.00"

This seems like an inexpensive way to contact people you don't know. My production is not high enought to addvertise in the paper. I have a lot of fishermen passing me on the way to and from the lake. I think I will put up a sign in yard and hope the fishing is bad. haha

I am also experminting with picked egg receipes. This looks like a way to pick up some extry income.

Finchlake
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 10:13:59 PM »

The best method is simply the only true method.  Word of mouth.  If you take your time and produce a top quality bird you will have no problem to market them.  Your customers will soon become repeat customers and bring in even more customers.  You can spend thousands of dollars of advertising but it basically comes down to you.  "This guy has a whole page of advertising but I never heard of them and this guy here I purchased from in the past or know someone who has and had excellent results."  Start out small and work your way up and definately be good at what you do.  And when you have a good product NEVER UNDERSELL.  A good product always sells itself.

If you live in the country and have the space, time and money you can produce a good quality flight conditioned bird.  Hunters, trainers, preserves, etc will buy your birds.  Pickled eggs is another good way to get your product out.  Coming up with a good recipe unique to your own will be the challenge.  With the problems the USPS is facing its almost impossible to ship to many locations.  Then you have your required NPIP testing and most states now have Avian testing requirements.  Also be sure to check with your local and state laws concerning propagation of quail.  

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
quailacres
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 02:56:27 PM »

A good place to advertise them, if you have a lot to sell, is Game Bird Gazette magazine. You see quite a few of them for sale there.
lhamid
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 01:31:27 PM »

I put up fliers on the bulletin board at the feed store.  I have sold lots of chicks that way.  Also Craig's List, and in the Buy and Sell area of this forum.  I sold and shipped several hundred eggs this year (my 1st year with quail), sold at least 300 chicks plus about 100 live adults for dog training.  The quail have paid for their feed, and for the chickens as well.   Now that the days are getting short I sold off all my older birds and will keep a few breeding pairs over the winter for new birds in the spring.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »