Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  went to farm......
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: went to farm......  (Read 19721 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 05:47:15 AM »

Hey,
today i went to a local farm by me, Steve (pheasant hollow farm) might of heard of it The Queens County Farm Museum.  Does that ring a bell, steve?
  a30 a30 a30 a30 a31 a31 a31 a31 a25 a25 a26 a26 a26 a26 a69 a69 a27 a27 a27
Anyways i had a good time seeing all the animals, then i was looking at the goats, the next thing i was just standing there and thought how much fun it would be to raise some livestock, a change from the bird/poultry raising.  I believe i do have at least an acre or so in my property in NC, just have to check to make sure i can raise some in the future.  I know that chickens and pigs are not permitted, have to check with sheeps and goats. I would have to get a pasture of course.  But i'll have to see once i'm done with pastry school i might just move down there, when the house will be finished of course, and start living my dream once and for all.

Yup...... never been there though.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 05:55:57 AM »

:grin:   Yeah, just try to go on vacation for a week or even a weekend with just 2 dogs, a cat, 6 chickens, 2 goats, and quail. s16  The dairy farm (grew up working on one) is a whole 'nother ball game.........milking cows is twice a day, every day, no matter what.  Most neighbors, friends, and even family aren't up for that.  Meanwhile, the barns are falling down, fence needs built/repaired, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.   :-o 
                                                             ~$$$~

Charlie, vacation?? ..   Why go on vacation when you have a farm, if its something you've always wanted then it has to be something you'll enjoy every day, if not then farming isnt for you.  People put themselves in dreams and make them true, if your wanting to go on vacation all the time what was the point of the farm.  The farm should be a place when you enjoy yourself, i know i would.  

You have to realize birdlover, a vacation, or a weekend get-away is something to break up the monotony. There's an old phase that goes like this: This  c109 (leave out the horse) starts to gets old after a while

Just wait 'till you have been a pastry chef for a while and tell us you don't need a vacation. You will soon see that even your new found joy is going to get old.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »

Seems as though the worst thing a person can do is take their favorite hobby and make it their job
because then it just becomes work :sad:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 08:25:28 AM »

I gotta show my dad how to post on this, he might get a little chuckle on this thread.  Farming does has its advantages and plenty of uncontrollable disadvantages such as milk prices being the same in the early 70's as the late 90's and fertilzer going up 150%+ every year now.  It would be a stressful life not knowing year to year what your income or expenses may be and not having any major influence on it.  But you are your own boss so you set the 16hr a day work schedule yourself  ^-^

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 08:30:01 AM »

I gotta show my dad how to post on this, he might get a little chuckle on this thread.  Farming does has its advantages and plenty of uncontrollable disadvantages such as milk prices being the same in the early 70's as the late 90's and fertilzer going up 150%+ every year now.  It would be a stressful life not knowing year to year what your income or expenses may be and not having any major influence on it.  But you are your own boss so you set the 16hr a day work schedule yourself  ^-^

Very true

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »

Just wait 'till you have been a pastry chef for a while and tell us you don't need a vacation. You will soon see that even your new found joy is going to get old.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

then i'll find a new one ..... s020   Like i'm doing now, i made wine, now olive oil, next is cheese making.  Keeps me interested all the time.  But i do agree after awhile you'll get sick of it, its true. There's always something else to keep one interested, the sky's the limit.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

then i'll find a new one ..... s020   Like i'm doing now, i made wine, now olive oil, next is cheese making.  Keeps me interested all the time.  But i do agree after awhile you'll get sick of it, its true. There's always something else to keep one interested, the sky's the limit.

birdlover,

The sky may be the limit, but it isn't going to pay the bills if you keep changing jobs. You will be a Jack of all trades, but a Master of none

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »

birdlover,

The sky may be the limit, but it isn't going to pay the bills if you keep changing jobs. You will be a Jack of all trades, but a Master of none

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

wow your good, i didnt think about that, good point!!

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »

You can be the best in the business, but if you have no time under your belt, no one will hire you, and most employers won't hire some one with 20 job changes a year. They would consider you as a risk.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:13:42 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »

thanks Steve, i'll be sure to keep that in mind. 

I was just reading up on raising livestock and its seem that only 2 to 3 goats would be enough for an acre of land, i know that i do have at least an acre but not sure how the number would matter if your feeding them pellets.  I understand that a pasture would be neccesary to have no clue, i'm just learning now about it now. 

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »

thanks Steve, i'll be sure to keep that in mind. 

I was just reading up on raising livestock and its seem that only 2 to 3 goats would be enough for an acre of land, i know that i do have at least an acre but not sure how the number would matter if your feeding them pellets.  I understand that a pasture would be neccesary to have no clue, i'm just learning now about it now. 

How do you plan on doing all this if you are going to a culinary art school. Do you expect your parents to tend to your animals?

When do you think you would even find the time to take on the task as a farmer, or a goat hearder when you will have to be working to support yourself, pay your parents room and board, or do you expect to mooch off of them.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 06:27:27 PM »

How do you plan on doing all this if you are going to a culinary art school. Do you expect your parents to tend to your animals?

When do you think you would even find the time to take on the task as a farmer, or a goat hearder when you will have to be working to support yourself, pay your parents room and board, or do you expect to mooch off of them.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Culinary school is only 6 months long then for 2 months i have to work at a externship site.  I want to work in NC maybe in a bakery of some sort.  If i want to have a little farm i guess i'll try to work where i'll have enough time to tend the animals.  My cousin in NC works as a Contractor and still finds time to care for his birds and rabbits. Or maybe i'll try to work in a place that offers high pay with low work hours (that would work for me).  To me this is what i've always wanted so if i can just put my mind to it i can accomplish it.  And only when i finally move to NC and work there etc...  i'll start buliding flight pens and all the other things to keep me happy.

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 07:34:44 PM »

I'll just say this last thing birdlover, I  don't want to discourage you from farming, its a tougher life but if you love it you do.  I wish you the best at farming because the family farm is about dead and everything is moving towards the corporate farm, to me, not necessarily a good thing.

And, your parents will have a beautiful place when they're finished.  Do they want goats running around?

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »

Little Bear....me thinks his parents are waiting for him to go fourth upon the world before they move to the new place....and do as they want without any trolls under the deck  :angel:

He is, after all (claiming) 18 years old now. I'm sure this "special" person will not be kept in the nest a lot longer....at least I hope not !  s020
glenn-bob

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »

Reeves, friendly wager?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »