Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  extra food for bobwhites
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: extra food for bobwhites  (Read 16111 times)
redhead17

« on: September 11, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »

This is my first post here so HELLO to all.  I purchached six bobs last week and was wondering what else I can feed them along with the bird chow for something different.  thanks in advance for all info........glenn   s144
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:02:37 PM »

s016  Look, guys this one knows what a sentence is !

There are many things.  Check the last page of the thread "spiders" (ignore the rest of it).

There have been several recent discussions about that.  A search should provide you with plenty of ideas.  Personally, I don't like to overdo it, especially with grain products, and fruit.  Only because you can throw off the nutrient balance of prepaired feed.

Also, what is to be the final use of these birds?  Pets, egg production, bird dog training?  More for the method of feeding, than treats.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:34:21 PM »

welcome  readhead17. you don,t  know birdlover 17 do you ????   s020  there are all kinds of comments and different ideas pertaining to your question on this site. check out the search feature at the top of the page. you will find a lot of info there. and by just reading old posts you will find more information than you know what to do with  and you will keep yourself out of trouble that way too. or else you might hear      FE  FI  FO  FUM  DONT ASK A QUESTION BEFORE SEARCHING SOME :grin:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            OOPS  too late or I was too slow someone beat me to it

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »

FE  FI  FO  FUM  DONT ASK A QUESTION BEFORE SEARCHING SOME :grin:   

I really like that!

Are we really that bad?

I really really like that, birddog.  Excellent, especially for a Setter feller.

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:30:47 PM »

thanks wilder I try!    no you guys aren't  that bad once  everyone has been properly introduced.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Suz658
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 03:24:35 AM »

Hi Glenn  s016

I keep Bobwhites primarily as pets & for hatching eggs.  Along with their 20% protein pellets I give mine mixed grain & canary/finch seed mixes ... this keeps them busy pecking & scratching around. I also give them fruit & veg daily including grasses & weeds.  As a treat and for taming purposes (remember girl with quail pets) I give them meal-worms or crickets which they go mad for ..... also amusing to watch  :?:  and finally make sure your Bob's have some sort of grid available to aid digestions, mine pick up earth but they also have fine oyster grit available to them at all times.

Suz
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:28:02 AM by Suz658 » Logged
redhead17

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »

s144  Thanks all for the info. just a little more info on me. I have a new GSP and he will be 11 weeks old on sat. I got the bobs last weekend for training purposes. But I want to feed them right while they are under my care. They are staying in a refirb rabbit hutch. I found this site by looking for info on quail or bobs. sorry for not giving more info on my first post. Thanks again........glenn from the Jersey Shore.....again... s144
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 04:34:44 PM »

That's why I asked.  Dark greens are good (with grit).  However, try to only put them in the pen at night.  Complete seclusion is your best friend.

A GSP is almost good enough.    t15

I'm sure you've been warned about this, but one of the most common, and hard to repair mistakes made in pointing dog training is to allow (that means fail to stop, not just on purpose) a dog to catch a pen raised bird.  Anything that might "tame" them, is bad.  I (as well as others) will be glad to help in any way I can.  Ask in the hunting section, near the top of the main page.

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »

s016 redhead17  GSP`s are real good. I used to raise them when I lived in CALIFORNIA  in the late 60`s hunted Ducks,Valleys, Gambles,Chukar and Pheasant with them. A real versatile Gun Dog..and I like the way they look.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »

Slider, you want another one.  Got 6 left, training already in progress.  Gosh I need to get rid of some pups.  s20

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »

This is my first post here so HELLO to all.  I purchached six bobs last week and was wondering what else I can feed them along with the bird chow for something different.  thanks in advance for all info........glenn   s144

Howdy!!   

I throw mine some regular ole wild bird seed and vegetable scraps. As mentioned before, be sure to provide grit. You can also throw a shovel full of sod in there on a pan of some sort. They'll pick/root around in it for spell.

s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

My birds love just about anything I've thrown in there! The chunks of sod disappear... Bird seed is yummy too. They get all excited when I bring them treats.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »

They get all excited when I bring them treats.

This is exactly why you should be careful about "treating" birds to be used to realease, or train dogs.  Don't want them to walk toward you, when you approach a dog on point !

Pets, breeders, or meat birds are different.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »

This is exactly why you should be careful about "treating" birds to be used to realease, or train dogs.  Don't want them to walk toward you, when you approach a dog on point !

I've never seemed to have any problem with any of my quail being friendly. They high-tail for cover at first glance, and they are older birds that I've had for a while.  I don't spend any quality time with them and they are somewhat secluded from any visible human/dog/cat/ATV activities. The air compressor (outside behind garage about 20 feet from pen) really gets them fired up when I turn it on, they'll scream some tunes that a person would never hear otherwise. 

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 09:41:56 PM »

I've never seemed to have any problem with any of my quail being friendly. They high-tail for cover at first glance, and they are older birds that I've had for a while.  I don't spend any quality time with them and they are somewhat secluded from any visible human/dog/cat/ATV activities. The air compressor (outside behind garage about 20 feet from pen) really gets them fired up when I turn it on, they'll scream some tunes that a person would never hear otherwise. 

I agree Charlie. Mine enojy the food that I bring but other than that, they want nothing to do with me. Catching them Thursday night to put into crates to go to the sale will be fun.... NOT! Mine are behind the garage, and don't see people unless we walk back there specifically to see them.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »