Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Feeding chicks Eggs and Greens (Plus an update)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeding chicks Eggs and Greens (Plus an update)  (Read 3669 times)
Quailer

« on: August 26, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »

My chicks are about 48 hours old now.  I am wondering if I can start feeding them ground up egg and greens (lettuse, cucumber ect) Can anyone offer any insight? 

Also, just to update everyone.  We had 32 chicks hatch, one broke its neck somehow and had to be put down, and so far 3 have straddle leg....one already put down from that.  I even put a non-slip liner in there to prevent this, I guess it didn't work too well.  The other chicks are doing fine and hopping around!  Thanks in advance for all the help!!
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »

what kind of chicks? i would feed them a 28% protein gamebird starter.if it's quail we use a medicated starter.use alsoo put electrolytes/vitaim supplement into their water.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
Quailer

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:57:07 PM »

They are button quail.  They seem to love the gamebird starter, so I figured they we really love some fruit or eggs :).  Maybe in a few weeks!

Quailer
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »

Yes I would wait a few weeks before that. Then add a little starter grit into the cage as a free choice for them before hand also. Fruits and veggies make good treats but do not give them to much as they need the protien that their feed provides, you do not want them filling up on the other. The eggs in a few days can be given as a treat as they are very high in protien.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 12:12:30 AM »

Regardless of what you feed, you should always give them grit. You can supply the #1 granite(like for Budgies), or fine gravel. They need from day one to get used to it. You will notice they'll use it for a sand bath, unless you provide sand in another area for this.

There is no need to give them eggs etc to eat untill later. (I really do not recommend ever feeding eggs: promotes egg eating later)
Greens are good from about a week on. Look up what is good for them. And if you plan on releasing them, use local weeds.

I'm so tired, I can hardly sit up......back later.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »