Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:40:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Where are the birds?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where are the birds?  (Read 3763 times)
zzweims

« on: September 25, 2008, 06:26:10 PM »

Hi:

I'm new here and have a concern.  I don't raise birds.  The past two years, we had poor wild hatches due to draught.  This year, we had an awesome hatch.  In July, you could not walk out of the house without flushing a family unit or two or ten.  The majority of the chicks were already flying very well.  In August, they started to disappear.  By September, they were all but gone.  Clearly, they survived the nest predators.  Food and cover are abundant (wheat, millet, milo and many bugs).  There is nothing I can do about the hawks, but I suspect they are not the (only)problem.  Is there some reason why wild quail would successfully raise a family and then disappear in August/September?

Thanks in advance for any insights.  This is a great forum. 

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
glenn-bob

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:01:32 PM »

Probably all those fire ants you have.  Or the hail storm Aug 17.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 07:14:05 AM »

zzweims nice website beautiful farm and I enjoyed the puppy page.... s98  and by the way  s016 s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
zzweims

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »

Thank you both.  No hail storm here.  And wouldn't the fire ants be more of a danger to chicks than to adults?  These birds simply flew the coop.  Yet my neighbors are saying the same thing:  where in the heck did they go?  And why?

We still have some birds, but mostly I am seeing only singles and pairs.  I would expect them to still be in family units or starting to covey up.  My hope is that they are hiding in the deep woods until the weather cools, but my fear is disease or predators. ???

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:45 PM »

zzweims,

I concur with slider, very nice farm and puppy page, and   s016 to the boards..

zzweims nice website beautiful farm and I enjoyed the puppy page.... s98  and by the way  s016 s016

What about the birds that you state that are stocked?
QUAIL*         (min. 10/party)                              $ 5.00/EA

* There is no charge for wild birds.  But we do ask that you inform us of sex, date, time, and location taken.

Are you releasing these only during dog training, and what is the recovery rate with these birds. I would assume these birds are banded for ID. purposes, an have the leftover stocked birds vanished as well?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
zzweims

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:20:16 PM »

Are you releasing these only during dog training, and what is the recovery rate with these birds. I would assume these birds are banded for ID. purposes, an have the leftover stocked birds vanished as well?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

We only release adult flight conditioned birds for dog training, hunt tests, and hunting parties (about 1000 a year) and have a fairly high recovery rate.  The birds are banded, but it isn't necessary for ID.  The pen birds are nearly twice the size of the wild ones!  Relatively few survive the season and fewer still reproduce.  So I guess you could say that they are disappearing too.

I did flush a covey this morning of about 20, so they aren't all gone.  But given the high hatch rate, I and my neighbors would expect more.  They are going somewhere, or something is killing them.  I just don't know where/what--or why.   s85

And thank you for the welcome and compliments.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 04:47:10 AM »

zzweims,

Maybe the birds are just better at avoiding you then you think. Are you using the dogs while finding the coveys? Are there any hedgerows or woods bordering the fields where the birds can also take cover when pushed?

What are the weather conditions while trying to locate the birds?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
zzweims

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »

zzweims,

Maybe the birds are just better at avoiding you then you think. Are you using the dogs while finding the coveys? Are there any hedgerows or woods bordering the fields where the birds can also take cover when pushed?

What are the weather conditions while trying to locate the birds?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Thanks Steve.  I hope you're right.  We are surrounded by woods.  I have not taken the dogs since bow season opened a couple of weeks ago, but I did take them occasionally in early am in Aug and early Sept.  I live in Georgia.  We basically have only one type of weather:  hot and sticky.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 05:47:08 AM »

zzweims,

I have seen this happen with my released pheasants. They tend to stay more to the hedgerows and scrub oak and the pitch pines. It is when you least expect it is when they either flush or run..

Keep the faith they haven't   s12  yet. They are young birds..

Best of luck to you j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

I'll never see a BW around here without a dog. Or hear one without a call bird.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »