Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:36:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  hens with bald backs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hens with bald backs  (Read 2700 times)
steve30947

« on: September 20, 2005, 07:02:25 PM »

in the past week my bobwhite have started laying, i have got about 20 eggs from about 7 hens. and in the past 3 or so days they haven't laid anything. also they are going bald on there backs right above there tail. is this normal about there laying and the bald spots. i have 1 male to 1 female. they are about 6mths old and i have them all in 1 pen 10' x4'.

thanks for your time
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:48:42 PM »

hallo steve,

their backs are bald because the males are being very aggressive lovers.  a one-to-one ratio of quail in one big pen will bring about this kind of behavior.  there needs to be at least two, preferably three, hens to one male.  so you could either add some hens or get rid of some males.  also putting some brush or leafy branches in the cage gives the females a place to hide if it gets too rough.  how many quail do you have altogether? overcrowding might also be an issue.

as for the laying, the hens will naturally go into a laying decline as winter approaches, or if there is not enough light.

hope this helps!

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »