Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Shooting towers for pheasant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shooting towers for pheasant  (Read 12934 times)
skipper3905

« on: February 06, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »

On a few of the hunting preserve sites I have seen towers that were used to release pheasant for shoots. They look to be 20' to 25' high. I presume these are to be sure to get flight out of the birds for the shooters. Presume the shooters stand under the tower. Looks sort of like fish in a barrell. Maybe there is a time delay before a shooter can fire.

Is there another reason for these? Anybody know anything else about them?
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:56:56 PM »

Shooting fish in a barrel covers it well
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »

A good continental shoot averages only 50% I dont consider that shooting fish in a barrel.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 04:29:08 AM »

That is because they can't shoot
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »

I dont think so, it was probably the set up, if you think its like shooting fish in a barrel.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Briar Hill Brittanys

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »

A recent "continental hunt" at one of the CSAs I guide for released 345 birds, 307 were harvested by 22 shooters.  That's a pretty good percentage.  Generally they average well over 60%.  Earlier this year, 12 shooters shot 101 out of 180 birds.  This event was for fathers and sons, so the harvest was down somewhat.  Conditions will also dictate the take.  High wind will really funnel the birds on the downwind leg, and give them a boost of speed once released from the tower.  The tower is about 25' tall.  Surrounding the tower are 12 stations about 25-30 yards out.  The stations are round bales, between each 2 stations are dog stations.  Each dog/handler team takes care of 2 shooter stations.  The shoot is divided up into braces, shooters rotate clockwise after 1 braces, dogs rotate counter-clockwise after 2.  Some stations are hot spots, the dogs will be on a retrieve, and have to mark 2-3 birds.  The really good part for me is that after the shoot I get to work my Brittanys finding the escapees on about 140 acres of cover.  Although it's not what alot of us think of as a hunt, the people really have a great time.  The retrievers could care less if the birds are released, and my Britts get to do what they love.    

Britts aren't big dogs, but there's more than enough room for all you want in devotion, intelligence, and a merry disposition. Britts live to please their hunting pals. Pick a bird cover from chukars to woodcock, they'll do the job for you with pleasure.
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:07 AM »

The place that I work at part time has one set up for 22 men 11 blinds in a circle on a hill surrounding a large pit. If you throw the birds correctly at the pit they will automatically begin to get higher above the blinds. Alot of birds get away and are well out of gun range. Between 50-60% is what is killed and then after the shoot there is a walk up with guides that will go through the fields to clean up. So it isnt like shooting fish in a barrel, people that think that dont know what goes into a good set up. As long as people continue to do it and you can keep you shoots full its not that time extensive, and is very cost effective. People pay good money to do these kinds of things.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »

Sounds like sporting Clays with live targets and dogs. If the intent is to train the dogs and not engage in fair chase hunting, so be it.
B.H.B, it would seem you get the best end of that deal.

"People pay good money to do these kinds of things" and we all know that's what it is all about!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 09:00:53 PM »

Jchiar. they can to shoot ..  (eachother) at least the politicians. can  c110 c110  why get your new boots dirty actually walking through the field or woods there is an easier way

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 04:20:01 AM »

Jchiar. they can to shoot ..  (eachother) at least the politicians. can  c110 c110  why get your new boots dirty actually walking through the field or woods there is an easier way
:grin:
Equismith

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »

I went on a pheasant tower shoot about three years ago.

The field was huge. In the center of the field, with altering terrain elevation, was scaffolding set to be about 25' high. Stations were about 20 yards apart and each station was about 100 yards away from the scaffolding. Shooters faced inward on the circle. No shots with gun barrels below 45 degrees for safety reasons. No side shots. Shoot inside or outside the circle only. The shooter on the 9 o'clock position was at least 200+ yards away from the 3 o'clock shooter position. Largest shot allowed was #6. Shot did rain down on occasion, but it was falling downward and was harmless. Shooting glasses were mandatory.

The pheasant were released and thrown upwards by hand when released. The pheasant had a good head start with speed when they got within range. Many made it outside the circle. Some pheasant were hitting 50mph I'd guess. Some went high and out. Maybe a 40-50 yard passing shot. With each 5 released, you rotated clockwise to the next station.

100 birds released before lunch. Lunch provided. 100 released after lunch.

All birds were cleaned and divided up equally among the shooters. No one went away empty handed. I took 6 home. I personally downed 14 with 19 shots (skeet shooting helped out tremendously on that). I remember it well as it was a good day for fathers and sons, dog owners (Al Arrington of Arrington's Police Distributors had his lab there. Great dog. Al has since passed away from cancer :sad: ), and all who attended.

When it was over, the dog owners hit the woods to flush the ones that got away.

Cost was $125 for each shooter or father/son team. There were 30 stations I think.

200 pheasant @ $6 each (conservative estimate) - $1,200
30 shooters @ $125 each - $3,750
30+ home cooked meals at say $6 each - $180 minimum
Pay for the helpers cleaning pheasant - who knows.

Yeah, they made a bit of money, but I think it was a bargain since I can't ever see myself getting to the midwest for a real pheasant hunt.

And $125 won't touch a hunt on a pheasant perserve.

I have no problem with tower shoots or the folks that pay to shoot in them. I'd rather see it that way than going to a restaurant to get quail or pheasant and the same bird just get killed for the meal. At least there was some resemblance of sport to getting a good pheasant meal.

The roosters were quite beautiful also. I wish I'd saved one for mounting.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:44:56 PM by Equismith » Logged

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »

On a few of the hunting preserve sites I have seen towers that were used to release pheasant for shoots. They look to be 20' to 25' high. I presume these are to be sure to get flight out of the birds for the shooters. Presume the shooters stand under the tower. Looks sort of like fish in a barrell. Maybe there is a time delay before a shooter can fire.

is there another reason for these? Anybody know anything else about them?

You know, for the life of me, I have done search upon search to find out the history and origination behind the English Tower shoots, since this question has been submitted.

Needless to say, I haven't come up with anything on the history nor background on how this was started in England.

All I have come up with is the different ways that  the shooting preserves have their tower shoots set up.

I will keep looking, this subject has me quite puzzled. If anyone else knows the history behind the English Pheasant Tower Shoots please post where the links to this subject is located.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Equismith

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »

Steve,

I'd try eugene molloy on shotgunworld.com

Click on the link below my signature and then go to the forums. Eugene is quite versed with European history on birdhunting.

I'll go there and post a thread topic and maybe he'll jump in with comment.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:43:27 PM by Equismith » Logged

Equismith

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:27:54 PM »

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=136718

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 06:21:29 AM »

Steve,

I'd try eugene molloy on shotgunworld.com

Click on the link below my signature and then go to the forums. Eugene is quite versed with European history on birdhunting.

I'll go there and post a thread topic and maybe he'll jump in with comment.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=136718

Thanks!

So the English never devised the tower shoot nor did the Scot or the Irish.

Interesting. So there is no origination history even for the so called European Tower shoot either.

I would still like to know where it originated and the history.

It may have been just one of those Lazy Day, Porch Sittin, Redneck things with the basic chickens. s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »