Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  remove eggs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: remove eggs?  (Read 8188 times)
chickmatt
« on: July 05, 2006, 01:38:11 PM »

i have 105 bobwhite quail eggs in the bator.. when the 20 th day rolls around do i have to take the eggs out of the turner???? because when i hatch chicks i dont have to. i just leave it inside so i dont have to make the eggs cool that much. and i also save humidity
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 01:43:28 PM »

I always do, but I think that would depend on what type of turner you're using. Mine has little flexible pins (Little Giant) that hold the eggs and the chicks would get caught up in them if I didn't remove them from the turner. I think there are other types that might allow chicks freedom to move around and figure out how to walk with out interference from the turner.  It doesn't take that much time to take the turner out for me to do it. Plus that's when I add sponges to boost my humidity.

G'luck

John
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 03:41:09 PM »

John is right, in the wild a bird dosen't sit on eggs 24/7 as she has to feed & water herself.
A minute or 2 won't hurt, I would think more harm than good would come from keeping it in.

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
ncffp163
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:00:56 PM »

Matt,

I have the same set-up as you do. I took mine out of the turner. If you can, get someone to help take them out, so you won't have the lid off as long.

Eric
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:39:52 PM »

It will wreak more havoc on them by leaving them in the turner. They have a hard enough time without giving them an obstacle coarse/trap to deal with coming right out of the hole. I'd bet that you would loose quite a few if left in the turner. Quail will kill themselves if there is a tight place they can push themselves into or get cayght on something. Those eggs need to lay down to hatch anyway. It won't hurt them a bit by opening it and removing them from turner. Good Luck.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
chickmatt
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:03:34 PM »

yeah i have the little giant turner.... the onley thing is ,,, you know the wire flooring???  mine dosent really want to lay flat... and if i do take them out they will roll all over the place... and i have another question, should i place some paper towls on top of that  wire grate???? since the quail are so small please post any help
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 11:45:29 PM »

You can tape it down with duct tape or pin it down with a wire bent into a U shape.  After your hatch is done, you may want to consider other options.  I have taken wall board plastic edging, stuck it on with caulking.  It will straighten it out real well.  You may need to trim just a little to make room for the edging.  I would take them out of the turner.  I hatched a lot of quail from buttons on up and have had no problems with their little feet on the wire.  Some to put something over the wire and that is fine too.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:47:00 PM by gsc » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 11:53:35 PM »

The wire floor itslef usually won't bother them any, but the sharp cut edges of it will let them get their feet caught on it sometimes. You can put some tape on the edge of it if you like. You can also bend that wire around until it fits flat especially around the edge. You can put paper towels on it, but you have to watch that it doesn't cover your water troughs and lower your humidity. If you get water on it, or if the towels even touch the water in the troughs it will absorb it and give you alot more "water surface", therefore increasing your humidity levels alot. I'd just put some tape on the sharp edges and bend it until flat and let it go at that.

JMO

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 09:00:23 AM »

I put that non-skid shelf liner over my wire to protect them.  It allows air/moisture through and gets mine ready for what they'll find in the brooder for the first few days.  Cleans easily too.  I toss it and the sponges in the washing machine after a quick shake-out. You can find the liner in Walmart for $6-$8 a roll.

G'luck

John
chickmatt
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 01:36:30 PM »

are you talking about the rubber mattts? that you use to hold things in place with ? iv got tuns of that stuff laying around the house...  and iv never thought about using that!!!!  :laugh:
JohnInDixon
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 04:30:16 PM »

http://victoryhillbc.com/images/Quail/BrooderPix/DSC03157.JPG
This will kind of show you what I'm talking about.

John
chickmatt
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 05:18:02 PM »

yeah it is something like rug gripper but smaller holes
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 12:49:40 AM »

I put that non-skid shelf liner over my wire to protect them.  It allows air/moisture through and gets mine ready for what they'll find in the brooder for the first few days.  Cleans easily too.  I toss it and the sponges in the washing machine after a quick shake-out. You can find the liner in Walmart for $6-$8 a roll.

G'luck

John

I have that in my brooder for about the first week, I had thought about using it in  my incubator but was afraid that it would cover the water too much and give me humidity fits, I already have to put extra cups of water in there to get the humidity up. You don't think that stuff will bother the humidity level, huh?

JohnInDixon
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 12:16:33 PM »

I've got 2 Lil Giant hatchers going right now with it on the bottom and humidity is right where it need to be.

John
chickmatt
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 05:13:22 PM »

huston we have a problem!! ym turner is making some kind of wierd noise it sounds like the turner is struggleing. or something
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »