Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  help with incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help with incubator  (Read 4233 times)
gp
Expert Member

« on: March 04, 2005, 07:32:53 PM »

I think I am going to buy the Little Giant Incubator.  Now, I am trying to decide if it is necessary to buy any of the attachments, and if so which do I need first...These are the extra's I'm thinking about:  The air fan, the egg turner, and the small game egg cup kit for quail.  I'm limited on funds and am trying to buy only what is necessary to get started but to have a fairly good success rate also.  Thank you for any help.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 07:46:20 PM »

You definately want a circulated air incubator.  Still air incubators are a little harder to keep the temperature maintained.  Either way the hatch rate is still good but it takes a little more closely watching than if you had the fan.  The turner is also a very valuable accessory you should consider.  We turned eggs for years by hand but it gets rather old 3 or more times a day.  If you get a still air you definately want the turner to avoid opening the top.  It takes longer for the temperature to go back up with a still air than with the fan.  If you get the fan you can do without the turner especially if you are just starting out and dont have that many eggs.  To make it really easy you should get an incubator that is already equipped with circulated air and has the electronic thermostat pre-set to 99.5 degrees as well as a turner.  That way all you do is add water and wait!  Little Giant is a good little incubator but I prefer the Hova-Bator.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
sgtmajor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:49:17 PM »

GP,

I used Little Giants for a year and hatched out over 2000 quail with them.  They work great.  I added a Auto Egg turner option to one and used the other one for a hatcher.  I got mine at TSC store.

I upgraded to GQF Sportsmans now, but I still have them Little Giants and will be using them for my Wildfowl eggs. I threw the little thermometer away and went and purchased a digital thermometer to use instead which is 100 times more accurate.  I got both mine and turner for under $120.  Not sure if the price went up on them much.
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 12:30:40 PM »

that is were im going to get mine at tsc.do i need those small egg cups for holding the quail?

when i get this incubator i just put the eggs in there on there side ?there are no racks or anything to put the eggs in to hold them. how do i flip them until i get the turner?i just flip it on the other side of the egg how many quail eggs should i buy for it .let me know thanks
FRANK
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 06:03:44 PM »

NOT SURE WHAT THE BUDGET ALLOWS--- I JUST PURCHASED HOVABATOR CIRCULATED AIR WITH THERMOSTAT EGG TURNER AND 30 BOBWHITE EGGS FROM GQF. PLUG IT IN AND WATCH IT GO . TOTAL COST WAS $142.95. I AM ONLY ONE STEP AHEAD OF YOU AS WE ARE SETTING THE EGGS TODAY.HOVABATOR MODEL #1590 EGG TURNER #1610 GOOD LUCK
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 07:34:26 PM »

we allready got the little giant.that is a good deal on the incubator frank.`we are on the list to buy 120 quail eggs from d and d quail farm.
Birderguy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 09:03:51 PM »

gp,

In my area I shopped around and found 3-4 different farm supply stores that sold the LG incubators at differing prices so I bought the 9200 from one store for $30 and the turner for $42 then added the fan kit for another $28.  so you can piece a real nice one together as your budget allows.  

You will need to lay the eggs flat on the hardware cloth that comes with the LG and turn the eggs by hand from one side to the other at least 3 times per day.  You will not need the small egg holders until you get the auto turner.  

And a word of caution - Don't let any water be spilled on the outside top of the incubator it can seep down through the bolt holes and short out your whole circuit board.

Good luck with your hatching!
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 08:05:47 AM »

thank you everybody for the info .after i get some more money i will buy the egg turner
bobwhite
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 04:25:49 PM »

A fan and turned are always pluses!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »