Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  GQF Incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GQF Incubator  (Read 14670 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: August 19, 2007, 11:18:59 AM »

Look here at what I just acquired for $0  (Canadian) :P   :

(Click on pic to enlarge)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:44:48 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:29:23 AM »

I've only had those Little Giant incubators and I am tickled to death to have run across this thing. Original owner hatched ostrich eggs in it. It runs fine, just needs a major cleaning/disinfecting, the stench of mice is incredible.  I was hoping that the turner out of my Little Giant would slide in there, but that won't work, my turner is 1/2" too wide!!  :cry: .  The "safety" switch was cranked all the way out, therefore rendered useless. I have new wafers and will be installing a new one and adjusting it accordingly. It only has 2 trays with it.  I have no experience with one of these, therefore, I have a couple questions about this thing:

1. What model is it?

2. Is there a "turner kit" that can be installed in this incubator?......if not, any   
    proven methods on making a automatic turner system?

3. Is the bracket in the lower pic, in the front of incubator where the trays slide in
    suppose to be there, or has someone added that?

Any other advice, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:03:20 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 01:45:18 PM »

1. What model is it?

That is a model 1550 Hatcher (or an equivalent, prior model).  It was not originally equipped for ostrich eggs, it should have had five trays.  It was designed to receive the setting of other incubators (sorry, forgot who I was replying to, you know the difference).  I'm surprised there is not a plate with model no.

2. Is there a "turner kit" that can be installed in this incubator?......if not, any   
    proved methods on making a turner system?

Yes, it will accept regular turner from other models.  It won't be cheap, but you will have three tilting racks, and room underneath for one of the trays you have, to use for hatching.  Of course, you'll have to compromise on humidity levels, but a lot of eggs have been hatched in these, that way.  Also, I have heard of people using the GQF Hova-Bator turners (which are very similar to the Little Giant turners.  I assume they fit inside the hatching trays, but have never done it, myself.  You might be able to cobble together some sort of  shelf that will allow the use of your turners, so you can test your new toy, sooner.

3. Is the bracket in the lower pic, in the front of incubator where the trays slide in

Not sure about your particular unit, but they have put a brace in that area on most of their hatchers, it holds the sides in, to prevent separation from heavy egg load.  The turner assembly will include three, similar, braces.

When ordering any parts, especially the trays, and Quail hatching baskets, you will need either the model number, date of manufacture, or exact measurements of available space inside.  There is a small difference in inside width dimensions between current, and earlier models.  They are very helpful, but you have to ask.  Talk to someone, before ordering anything, to make sure you get something that fits.

A complete 3 rack turner will probably be the best choice, and maybe even cheaper than filling it with smaller turners.  Total egg capacity with Quail eggs will be a lot more, also.  You will have to do some drilling, but I think GQF will supply templets, if you ask.

There are plans, and parts lists available on ebay that are supposed to produce a more reliable turner.  On fellow sells turner motors that last much longer.  Some of this is listed as plans for an incubator that is a larger copy of the GQF.

They now have electronic controls available.  The complete turner, and electronic controls will be a pretty substantial amount, but total cost will still be pretty low, for what you'll have in the end.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »

I've only had those Little Giant incubators and I am tickled to death to have run across this thing. Original owner hatched ostrich eggs in it. It runs fine, just needs a major cleaning/disinfecting, the stench of mice is incredible.  I was hoping that the turner out of my Little Giant would slide in there, but that won't work, my turner is 1/2" too wide!!  :cry: .  The "safety" switch was cranked all the way out, therefore rendered useless. I have new wafers and will be installing a new one and adjusting it accordingly. It anly has 2 trays with it.  I have no experience with one of these, therefore, I have a couple questions about this thing:

1. What model is it?

proven methods on making a automatic turner system?

Thanks!!

Chuck,

Go here.... http://www.gqfmfg.com/

You should be able to convert it to your needs. All the GQF cabinets are the same size.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 04:07:11 PM »

http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/10047.aspx?ref=cs
Here is the cheapist place to buy the egg racks for the trays. for less than 200.00 you can replace everything in it trays and all to make it an auto turner with bottom hatcher and have a electronic thermostat. Nice hatcher for free as I use the same model and love it its a 1505 model.
dusty
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »

Look here at what I just acquired for $0  (Canadian)

That is good ! Now you can send that thing to me, I'll pay shipping on my end.
In return, I'll send you the two pipe you want (that I paid $0.00 U.S. for) and you pay shipping on the pipe!

:angel:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:58:01 PM »

Thanks everyone for the information and quick response!    :grin:

"Wildergamebirds", I now see what you are saying, that this is actually a "hatcher".   I just thought because of its age that it was one of the earlier incubators that required hand turning (I'm not familiar with the cabinet incubators at all, or their history).  I found the "1550" on GQF's web site and it is a match, other than mine is an older model I guess.

I have 3 egg baskets that hold 8 eggs each that came with it for ostrich eggs. There are a couple of screw holes on outside of cabinet that could have been where the Manufacturers plate may have once been fastened?  I've had this thing apart in pieces today cleaning it, it is actually in very good shape and runs great, there is not a model number or nameplate anywhere on it. I've had it on a test run all evening, just wish my turner would fit in the thing, it has had eggs in it now for past 3 days and I sure would like to try out my "new toy"!   :cry: It has a main electronic thermostat already with the "back up/safety" wafer stat too. I've got all that tuned in today also.

I figure that even if I bought all the goodys that make it an auto turner incubator, that I'm still alot of money ahead. I'll figure out something one way or another. This thing will be so much better than what I've been using, the full glass door is nice!!

All input greatly appreciated from everyone!!

Look here at what I just acquired for $0  (Canadian)

That is good ! Now you can send that thing to me, I'll pay shipping on my end.
In return, I'll send you the two pipe you want (that I paid $0.00 U.S. for) and you pay shipping on the pipe!

:angel:

:roll:  ROFLOL!!!  I knew that you could appreciate that one!  :evil:     The truth is the funniest thing!  :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:34:34 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 12:04:12 AM »

http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/10047.aspx?ref=cs
Here is the cheapist place to buy the egg racks for the trays. for less than 200.00 you can replace everything in it trays and all to make it an auto turner with bottom hatcher and have a electronic thermostat. Nice hatcher for free as I use the same model and love it its a 1505 model.
dusty

Yep, about $200!, if I buy the factory stuff. They are pretty pricey for some of that stuff!  :eek:  GQF Manufacturing was no help to me at all, didn't seem to care in the least, so I figured it all out for myself..........I think?  :grin:

I've learned alot about these babies in the past couple of days, although a good picture or couple of pictures of a incubator turning mechanisms and trays with the rear cover off would be very helpful, just so I knew for sure what it is suppose to look like.  I'll probably just throw that "Little Giant" turner in there for now at an angle (1/2" too wide) until this hatch is done and I'll work on turning it into a "Sportsman" incubator this winter.

Thanks

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 03:36:05 AM »

Look here at what I just acquired for $0  (Canadian) :P   
So what is the price conversion? $500 CAN? LOL j/k heheheh
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:42:36 AM »

Look here at what I just acquired for $0  (Canadian) :P   
So what is the price conversion? $500 CAN? LOL j/k heheheh

No that would convert to $0 (CA) or $2.36(CA) at the most in a few areas.  :twisted:

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 12:52:46 PM »

Well, I've gotten the auto turner inside this cabinet at an angle after removing one of the runners (angle iron) from the side of cabinet. (See Pic) It will work for these eggs anyway. I took the rest of the eggs and put them in one of the trays and will have to continue to turn them by hand until I candle them in a few days and will probably be able to put more in the turner after removing any duds. This turning by hand garbage is for the birds!!!  :grin:
  Eight thermometers and 6 different readings.  :???:   The humidity with even adding an extra water pan is only 47%, which will make getting the humidity up for hatching a chore it appears, but at least there is plenty of room in this thing to place more stuff, unlike that darn styrofoam deal. The humidity in my house is fairly low with the A/C running, in which doesn't help matters.
  I'm thinking that I may try to sell this Hatcher when I'm done and my other 2 incubators and then just put that money towards a Sportsman 1502 and forget about converting this thing over to the auto turners. 

Vrex

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 09:05:46 PM »

Congradulations on your incubator, is that the one that was on ebay?  I almost bid on it. :laugh:
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »

Congradulations on your incubator, is that the one that was on ebay?  I almost bid on it. :laugh:
No he says he got it for $0 CA so that would mean someone paid him $500 USD to take it off their hands??? LOL
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:52:24 AM »

:grin: :roll:  :grin:  Now that is funny!

No, it has never been on "Ebay" (a certified rip you off, the rules are stacked against you company)................Yet!!!   But it could be....offers are rising by the day! 

I'm still kickin' things around and it will be a while before I decide anything. Although, if it come up "For Sale".........I will be sure to let everyone on this forum know first.   I sure do like my cabinet incubator!!!...lots of room compared to what I'm used too.     

sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 01:00:40 AM »

i'll take it off your hands trail i'll even come pick it up since your not that far. :laugh:
then i can sell it on ebay!!!!!

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »