Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  lonely button quail - 36 hours old - med feed or not
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: lonely button quail - 36 hours old - med feed or not  (Read 3904 times)
Floydette
« on: September 03, 2007, 02:01:10 AM »

Only 1 of my 50 button quail eggs hatched.  I put the little one in with the silkie chicks that hatched at the same time.  Question :  Is it okay for it to eat the same medicated feed ( AM  chick starter )  as the bantam chicks as long as I use supplements to make up the protein and vites that game bird feed has?   Basically , will the meds harm the little one ?   I don't want it to be all alone at this young age, but my other day olds get  the medicated starter feed .    Suggestions ? answers ?   I never hatched a button quail .
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 04:28:49 AM »

Don't raise button quail but all others require at least 28 % protein chick starter has less around 15% you can add soy meal to increase protein
BirdBuiz
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 04:13:37 PM »

Feed it a 28% feed and take it away from the chicks. Even if it is by itself it is better off than being trampled by the bigger chicks. Just make sure it has plenty of heat, a cooler side to go to, a shallow waterer it can not drown in<rocks in it or marbles will help with this> and a feeder. It should do fine by itself, I would however check into getting some more buttons to either hatch or day olds that he can play with when he is older. I start out all my quail from day one till a month old on medicated game birds starter.
Floydette
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:04:24 AM »

thanx for answering
   The little one thinks the silkies (7 of them) are its Mama right now.  I know  It can't stay with them because of the size difference in the growing process, but I have been keeping a very good watch over them, and the silkies are ok with it for now.     I  have had to keep totally different animals together in the past with few issues about it for their survival.   They seem to understand my expectations of their behavior towards each other as babies.  (  I have had a pit bull @$$$@ nurse 3  5 day old abandoned kittens, Three 3 week old  bottle fed kittens sleep with and share a bottle with a 3 week old rescued squirrel baby, pet rats play with the dogs and cats all together.  Always supervised, unless they were sleeping, etc. 
 I  have a previously bleached clam shell in one side of a shallow cat food dish to try to keep it from standing in the water to drink (or drown ).  the other side has the am chick starter with groung flax and sunflower seeds, wheat germ, Fine sifted pigeon grit, , and a little bit of the tiny round pieces of broccoli.
 I am trying to get a good price on more eggs to keep it company. (This little one technically cost me about $30 because of the poor hatch rate)
     WHY NOT RAISE A FEW BUTTONS ????
If I end up with too many eggs or quail, I have a neighbor who is of Asian origin, whom I am sure would be more then interested in using them for something. They have already requested to eat my laying hens, want to get some ducks or fertile duck eggs ( a delicasy to eat just prior to hatching ( I've been told)), and have grabbed 38 dozen non-fertile chicken eggs in the past 2 weeks.
               Not my thing; and besides I love my critters and don't usually part with any of them that don't " HAVE TO GO !! "
      Thanx for your responses again, and Good Night
                                                                               Floydette

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »