Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  9 eggs still
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 9 eggs still  (Read 5627 times)
kat
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:56:45 AM »

Well, we are hanging in there too. Thank you Scot and Trailbossusa for sharing your experiences.
No sign of anything , ''YET'', my son says emphatically.
I just don't want to have to throw the things away! Isn't that awful! Here we will be sitting in July still waiting:) Where can we get quail chicks through the mail?
day 26 for 9 bob white
woodenegg
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »

It is getting really hard to send birds.  You can check these places, they are still shipping.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/category/turkeys_ducks_geese_game_birds_guineas_peafowl.html

http://www.strombergschickens.com/stock/gamebirds.htm

http://lakenvelderfarm.com/bobwhite.html

I've bought birds from lakenvelderfarm and they were good people to work with.  The others I have no experience with.  Usually the number of birds you have to order and the cost makes trying again with eggs a better way to go.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »

How many chicks are you looking for?  I have between 2,000-3,000 hatching per week and may be able to ship.  Some quantities are not yet listed on our site until I get through this shipping dilemma once again.  I shipped over 14,000 in 2004.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
kat
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 05:12:27 PM »

We would love a tiny:)  shipment, a dozen. I have not found a place that will ship such a tiny amount. We are in SC.
If I could get a better incub. with chances of  better results,  I would still like to do the eggs, later. Right now we could use some chicks for blessing everyone's hearts after such a letdown. I honestly thought SOME would hatch, it never dawned on me NONE would. The pictures made it look 'so easy' and they are SO cute. Oh well. Lots of learning.     
Any suggestions for us?
Thanks!
kat
woodenegg
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 05:44:46 PM »

Hi Larry, I didn't put you on the list since your website says you are not shipping.  Can you ship to 99507?  It is good to see a post from you now and then.

Greg
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:55:41 PM by woodenegg » Logged
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »

kat,
It is my opinion that getting a small quantity of live bobwhite chicks shipped is not economical pricewise. They have to be shipped express. the ship price alone exceeds the cost of the chicks.

I would just invest in an incubator and eggs. Depending on your budget...if you dont want to spend too much, you can get a Hova-bator or Little Giant still air incubator. If you can spend a little more, I would recommend one of the Hova-bator electric thermostat, force air models. GQF has a kit for $142.95, incubator, egg-turner, free 30 bobwhite eggs, free ship. I just got one and it really works great. The temp varies only within 1 degree. It's been steady 99.5-100.5. it auto adjusts for you.

good luck.
geeter

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:03:12 PM »

Kat, I live in North Augusta.  Where are you in SC?  I can help you out with eggs.  I also have some chicks due to hatch on the 23rd.  I sent you a PM with my phone number, maybe I can deliver you some chicks.  Let me know,
Mike
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 10:23:29 PM »

As Akira said its definately not economical to get 12 chicks.  Actually I dont know of any place that will ship that minimum.  With the cool weather we're having now the chicks probably wouldnt survive.  Usually 25 and up is needed especially for warmth purposes.  I definately recommend someone closer if you can find them for chick orders.  With the USPS unstable the way it is now I dont even trust Express Mail.  Last week I had several orders or hundreds of chicks that were to go out.  I packaged them and called the airlines and they had an emergency meeting and banned all shipping temporarily for us.  This time they didnt have the carriers and flights available.  Out of dozens of areas I could ship to I was only able to have 6 zip codes that were guaranteed.  I could ship Priority Mail no problem but they couldnt guarantee anything less than 2-3 days.  Thats simply not good enough.  I lost thousands of birds a few years ago because of the USPS and dont intend to do so again this time.  I will ship Express if available or Priority Mail if I can be sure of my customer receiving them within 24-36 hours.  Quail are so fragile-theyre nothing like chickens. 

Your zip code isnt on my list but I'm going to start driving an extra hour and a half for shipping in Raleigh or Greensboro to get the extra coverage.  Our state simply doesnt have the major airports.  Richmond is limited in their flights.  I cant compare to Strombergs or McMurrays.  They have one true advantage and thats their location.  They can ship near anything they want and get it directly onto the planes.  Here our mail goes to a sorting facility and is often the following day before its shipped out-too late for getting to the airport the same evening. 

The Electronic Thermostat Hova-Bator is really nice.  Theyve come a long way over the years.  Should have dropped me an email I might of been able to save you a few $$$ on your kit.  I sold a ton of them the past couple months. 

I'm going to visit more frequently.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 11:05:16 PM »

Thanks for the generous offer Larry. I am considering getting one to use as a hatcher so perhaps next time. :laugh:
kat
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 09:17:15 AM »

Hi Larry,
That is amazing about the postal service and shipping. I had never really thought about it except to wonder how the chicks really do get through the process[es]. We are still working on getting chicks, but also would like to upgrade our incub. and set up for doing eggs again.
I will check out your web site, but for simplicity sake- can you tell me,
Is this
'The Electronic Thermostat Hova-Bator', that you listed, good for small quantity/low program/child friendly projects? Does it have everything we would need ,except the eggs?
Thanks so much,
kat in SC
woodenegg
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 02:54:55 PM »

Something to keep in mind Kat when you get ready to order eggs, experience shows on average you will get around 50% to hatch.  I have had batches with 0 hatch and batches with 80% hatch.  If you want a dozen birds, you may what to look at 36 eggs to give you a good chance of getting the number you want.  If the hatch goes good and you get more, you can always eat the extras or find homes for them if eating them is not palatable to your assistant.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 02:56:34 PM by woodenegg » Logged
ncffp163
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 01:21:57 AM »

Larry,

How far are you from Greensboro, NC? I'm about 20 miles east of there. I'm wanting to get some Bobwhite eggs and I don't trust USPS either. If its not too far, I could drive up if thats possible.

thanks, Eric
Babs_MN
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 01:40:14 AM »

Kat - We ship small quantities of eggs and have very good hatch rates. I can also work in custom assortments if you'd be interested in coturnix, bobwhite, buttons, or pheasant. The hatch times are spaced out to 16, 18 and 23 days keeping the kids engaged with plenty of activity.
I'd love to work with you to help you get something hatching!
Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Babs
Country Egg
kat
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »

Thanks Babs, Country Egg. We are getting upgraded equipment and look frwd to this project!. Larry [Red Oak] helped with advice and ordering our new incubator with an egg turner!  I loved your web site/on line catalog- very nicely done. I'll be back as soon as we get up and running again.
kat
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »