Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:40:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Missouri
| | | |-+  OK How many of us are raising Quail in Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OK How many of us are raising Quail in Missouri  (Read 20142 times)
Pretty_Bird

« on: September 11, 2008, 08:58:17 PM »

Just thought it would be nice to get to know other members that are from my state that are raising QUAIL and what types we all have.
What are your plans for battening down the hatches for the comming winter weather?
Not looking foward to cold weather. Have you got any good ideas about keeping water fresh in frezing temps other than changing it many times a day?
I've been getting drop cutrains ready to go around my pens to try to keep some of the cold from them.
Unfortunately I do not have a big heated barn to keep them in.... wishful thinking.. But then there is always Santa!!!! HO HO HO maybe he will take the hint. j2
mark

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:47:11 AM »

I raise Coturnix and Button Quail in Missouri. I pretty much put tarps around my pens during the winter months. There is no way of getting around not changing the water everyday.

where are you located. Im around Macon, Mo.

Mark
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:01:08 AM »

Mark is right.  We need to know where each are located, or it won't mean much.  I'm closer to three growers in Arkansas, than to you guys.  I'm in Ava, 50 miles S.E. of Springfield.

I raise Georgia Giants, sometimes regular Northern BW, Chukars, Black Mutant Pheasant, and sometimes have Butler BW, will have Jumbo Brown Coturnix again this spring.  I plan to try Huns, next spring.

They can all take the cold.  There are several posts about winter water, some simple.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pretty_Bird

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »

I'm located about 14 miles from Lake of the Ozarks, just about the middle of the state.
At this time I have 40  Georgia Giants that are only 2 1/2 months old. I would love to have more of them, if you have any eggs for sale let me know.
I have 106 Northern Bob that I am raising for a fellow that wants them at 10 weeks old, so they will be going in about 2 more weeks. I really have had a time getting his 100 that he wanted. Those little devils were a hand full, nothing like any other quail I've had so far.
I have 2 groups of the Texas A & M's group 1 has 80 birds that are 5 weeks old and group 2 has 115 they are about 3 1/2 weeks now. Plan on eating part of them and keeping part of each group as breading stock. Probably around 80 birds total to feed during the winter.
I am still uncertain if I believe all the hype about how fast they grow and how big they get. They definitely are going to have to jump in weight quickly if they reach the total weight that the fellow I got the eggs from said they would be by 8 weeks of age.
I will let time tell.
  Then my personal favorite at this time is the Jumbo Bob Whites I have about 200 of them that are 3 months old now. I plan on keeping back about 100 birds total out of them for next years eggs and they rest of them are for the BBQ grill.
I do have several parties that want to purchase them dressed and ready for the table and shall accommodate a few of them after I fill my quota.

The ones I am really concerned about are the 230 Jumbo Bobs that are in the incubator at this time and are due to hatch 9/20/08 they are going to be small when the time possible bad weather could fall upon us.

I want to try the Tennessee Reds as I've heard they are good big birds that are good for both dog use and are large for the table as well. What do you think?
Would like to get access to some of those eggs as well, in time.
Briar Hill Brittanys

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »

I'm north of Joplin a few miles.  Currently raising bobwhites, for dog training purposes,hope to raise some ringneck pheasant next year.  Wilder, I'd be interested to know how the huns work out.  I hear they're tougher than quail, and fly wilder.  Total production for this year is just over 200.  My brood stock is winding down on egg production, but I'm sure I'll be buying birds before long.  I don't have a heated barn, they do have ample protection from the weather.  I'll also be changing water out daily.  We've just moved to this location, a lot of time has been spent getting my kennel built.  Unfortunately the birds have had to take a back seat.

Mark

Britts aren't big dogs, but there's more than enough room for all you want in devotion, intelligence, and a merry disposition. Britts live to please their hunting pals. Pick a bird cover from chukars to woodcock, they'll do the job for you with pleasure.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:02:28 AM »

If it weren't for my Brittanys, I would have never bothered with Quail.  It was too hard to just go buy a dozen at a time.  Sometimes guys didn't want to mess with just a100.  I now understand why.  I know a fellow near Ekland that is raising some.  He's taken over one of my customers (1000, or so), for the first part of this year.  He's at $4 per bird. 

Just a note about wildness.  It seems to me that the smaller (standard) northerns tend to be a little wilder.  Sort of like the little guy in school that always started fights.  In my limited experience with Tenn. Reds, mixes, actually, they aren't much larger than a wild Bob.  I think some have been crossed with G. G.s and I know some with Butlers.  The Red mixes from 1/8, up, seem wilder than northerns.  I know the crosses I've raised the last two years got rave reviews, except when very wet.  Dust baths, and misting the birds paid off.

Just to humb my nose a little; I am in Kansas, now.  Prairie Chicken Season opens Monday.   t15

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:59:33 AM »

Hang on I`ll be right there.... s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:34:42 AM »

Hang on I`ll be right there.... s020

s020 s020, Like I said.... keep the wind in ya sails and you will get there by sunrise s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:42:07 AM »

I guess you can shoot them thangs with a Browning A5.... s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 03:26:22 PM »

I guess you can shoot them thangs with a Browning A5.... s020

The question isn't whether I can, it's whether you could hit one.  j2

Numbers are pretty spotty.  If I find decent numbers, I'll let you know.  I'm too busy to hunt the 12-20 days I try to get in, every season.  Season runs through Oct. 15.  They are a great way to exercise a dog, and get them some wild bird experience, early.  On the other hand, the older birds have no respect for bird dogs, and simply walk away from a solid point, at times.

They are nowhere as tough as cock Pheasant.  Dogs sometimes go on point from 50 yards away, or more, (they stink).  When they allow themselves to be handled by dogs, they are as easy to kill as overgrown Quail.  I use improved cylinder, and field loads.

The best way to get action is to come in a Van, or Pickup with topper, so you can stay mobile.  Hitting a motel, when you need real sleep.  It's open, and windy out there, so lack of bathing isn't so bad.   p33  The public land gets hit hard, sometimes, and the birds move.  When motivated, they can fly 60 mph, and fly 2-3 miles at a time.  Spring hatched birds usually don't go more than a half mile, per flight.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »

Sounds interesting....my kind of hunting out of the back of a truck... s020  I want to try some of those do it yourself hunts on private land with a paid fee.. in Kansas any ideas????

Pretty_Bird

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 04:16:08 AM »

Slider What part of the old show me are you from?
What kind of Quail are you raising?
How many do you expect to hold durring the winter months?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:32:26 AM »

Slider What part of the old show me are you from?
What kind of Quail are you raising?
How many do you expect to hold durring the winter months?

silder is in Louisiana.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pretty_Bird

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 05:14:06 AM »

OH I see, The reason I ASSUMED he was from Missouri is because of the Topic Raising Quail in Missouri... I am fairly new to this forum. In a short time have had the experience of some pretty snappy remarks, nothing too rude but just snappy short comments mostly in the form of PM's.
From past personal experiences I was searching for information ans ended up in another states forum, wwwwwow it didn't take any time at all for them to tell me that was why they have the individual states listed and I should GO HOME I didn't belong there. Not very friendly folks at all, in my opinion.

Slider, ya snuck in under the fence and didn't tell me you were from way down South.
I haven't been around very long so I'm not well versed on where all the regulars are from.
Don't suppose you have any of the worries we up here have about FREEZING Frigid nasty COLD Weather...
So tell us what you do in Louisiana to prepare for Winter?
What birds are you raising, if you don't mind talking about it to a (NEWBE)

Thanks Steve for informing me, and yes (I do like salt and pepper on the foot I put in my mouth. ha ha :D)
I enjoy a good conversation and to me it doesn't matter where people are from if they have a good attitude I figure the more the merrier.. Just a little of that old Missouri Hospitality.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 10:54:14 AM »

Sorry for jumping in on a Missouri post only...that little picture on the left there is my profile info.. Guess I have been here to long and thought that I could post or comment on any of them...Are you telling me to go home??? I raise Butler Bobwhites, Valleys, Tenn. Reds,Huns, Blue Scale,Peacocks,Call Ducks, Ringneck Pheasant, White Homing Pigeons ,Jansen line Homing Pigeons and Pitbull Dogs. I am a real Redneck and drink Community Coffee and Jack Daniel Whiskey sometimes together and I like pretty women. I am  a little snippy at times just part of my nature don`t mean any harm. I am 64 years old and have bled alot in my life. I do not do anything different in the winter with my birds than I do in the summer its not cold enough down here maybe protect them from a North wind at times. OK I`m out of here no more posting on this Missouri thread...Have a good one...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:32:49 AM by slider » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »