Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Worms in eggs???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worms in eggs???  (Read 8898 times)
Taproot

Personal Text

« on: July 22, 2010, 07:46:04 PM »

We boiled a batch of eggs last night for pickling. Well, the last batch started simmering good and I noticed what looked like a worm floating in the water, but I blew it off as egg white escaping, since some of them crack, etc. when boiling. I started noticing more and more and sure enough, it was what looked like FREAKIN' TAPEWORMS!!! Have any of you heard of this? Experienced it? It totally freaked me out. Do worms actually get in eggs? Now I'm freaked out about worms in the growout pens. Sh*t!!!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:20 AM »

Sounds like a Stephen King movie  c49
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »

thats weird ive never heard of anything like that before, are your birds on the ground? the reason i ask is i wonder if they are coming from the bird itself or if the worms are getting in the eggs while they lay on the ground

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »

thats weird ive never heard of anything like that before, are your birds on the ground? the reason i ask is i wonder if they are coming from the bird itself or if the worms are getting in the eggs while they lay on the ground

The growout pens are on the ground.

I don't know. The eggs were particularly nasty, though (covered in dirt/poop). I had a water leak that went undetected for a day or so and it ran off into two of my growout pens, turning the floor into a big slurry. I got the birds out and cleaned it up as best I could, but I'm wondering if some eggs got covered up and then uncovered. Ugh.

I think they got into some eggs that may have been cracked and I just didn't catch it. There were some that had little peck dents in them. I peeled several of them last night and dissected them. Looked fine. Needless to say, I'm still a little freaked out. If I sold a jar of pickled eggs to someone and it had worms in it, I would be screwed.

Is there anything you can saturate the ground with to kill worms. From what I read about the wormers, it will shut me down for the rest of the season if I use them.  thk1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »

Call a Vet and ask what they think may have caused this. Let us know what he/she says.
Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »

Call a Vet and ask what they think may have caused this. Let us know what he/she says.

Kinda what I was thinkin' too.

We're peeling the "eggs in question" as I type. I'll report any fowl play.

russ

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »

In the mine when we hit water we use quick lime to "boil" it up and then scoop it out. might help with your water problem..I'm definetly interested in what you find out, please keep us posted....Russ
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »

I didn't face this type of experience. According to me this voice is coming from the oil whic you are used for boil purpose. From now when I'll boil the eggs I'll try to listen this type of noise.

ck1

s020
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »