Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  A couple bobwhite questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A couple bobwhite questions  (Read 3116 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »

Ok I have 10 bobwhites 4 females and 6 males. First of all when about do the males start crowing/whistling? The guy I bought them off of did no exactly how old they where at the time, he just told me that they will start their first laying in the spring. When about should I start giving them calcium, and what % feed should I be giving them? Also a question about telling the males apart from the females. They are all in full plumage, but the a couple of the "males" have brown in there mask but are primarially white. Any help would be well thanked.

Bobwhite quail24
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 11:50:09 PM »

The whites are males and I'd say they are 7-8 weeks old at the least in order for the males to be white. They tend to get more of a pure white as they get older. 

They may never say a word until you split some of the males up, none of mine did. I take a male and a couple females and put them in a seperate pen out of the site of the others in the spring and they'll start talking alot.

As for the feed............look here:

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=164.0
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:25:54 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:46:27 PM »

Yea you wont need calcium till they start laying in Spring. The males mask will get whiter as they mature. I would guess them to be at around 7-9weeks right now based on your description of that.

Took a while for my bobwhites also before they discovered the trademark bobwhite whistle. For the most part, they'll do that sparrow like crow. I would guess they discover that Bobwhite whistle when they are well matured. 16weeks++ If you had other older Bobs that already does the whistle...the youngens will learn from them faster. good luck.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 07:42:24 PM »

Seems like the first call I notice from mine is an early morning covey call right at daybreak.  I agree with Trailboss in that I don't get much "bob white" whistle unless they are separated and out of sight.  Mostly just covey call until spring pair up and even then it will only be a select few that make that call (dominant ones perhaps?).
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:57:41 PM »

Thank you alot. Ya I was wondering if the male with white and brown was an "it". But ya right now they are in a rabbit huth. In the spring I'll seperate them into breeding pairs. I did notice though that when I approched the cage yesterday 2 males puffed up there feathers and ran up to me (kind of strutting like a tom turkey in breeding season).

Bobwhite quail24
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »