Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Can anyone identify this bird?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can anyone identify this bird?  (Read 13238 times)
Redhorse
Expert Member

?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2004, 12:00:43 AM »

Just because I'm a hunter doesn't mean I kill everything in my path! The pigeon trap I'm referring to is a live trap which sportsmen (and nuesance trappers) use to capture live pigeons. I'm sure that more than one pigeon breeder has used the same device to capture wild pigeons for their pens. I mistakenly took your previous post as a sincere desire to keep pigions of your own. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :oops:

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2004, 12:25:25 AM »

:lol: As a young lad I used to go to local farms & capture Pigeons. Some to eat, cool looking ones to keep.  My Dad used to ask why I'd clean up "pests" birds from another place, only to put them in one of his barns  :lol:
emtp356
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2004, 11:51:08 AM »

that there is a racing homer the reason he was hanging around the drive way is he was taking a rest during his flight home some tome these birds are taken hundreds of mile away and let got to fly back home there appears to be a leg band on the bird it is used to time his flight
!BigHogLeg!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2004, 02:26:30 PM »

Hello,
   What is the band number? The owner can be traced through American Racing Pigeon Union. I doubt that they would want it back because it's a looser big time. I raise blacks in Louisiana and lost two the other day. I wouldn't want em back if you paid me. The only excuse for a bird not coming home would be hawk attack and that isn't even a good one. It does look like it's hungry. If you don't want the bird just feed it good and give it water and cut it loose again. It will most probably find it's way home on the second toss. If it hangs around just keep it. The bird looks like either a Black Eagle or a CBS Black. If it is a CBS Black the band should start with the letters CBS because they have their own suffix. The eye color of the pigeon is off so don't expect this to be a champion racer just because the thing has a band. It's a good chance that someone is out there raising wild pigeons and is banding them for the heck of it.
komori35
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2004, 09:57:28 PM »

ahhhh!  :(  no no red horse i mean...i know that, i didnt mean that. im really sorry it sounded like that.  i just thought if i didnt add the last bit on the end somebody would reprimand me for wanting to kill pigeons unecessarily (i am not referring to you reeves...just for clarification)...really really sorry... :oops:

anyway, i saw the site and im going to get a trap or two  :)  thanks for giving me the link

-komori
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2004, 08:50:44 AM »

There is no leg band on this bird.  It appears to have taken a liking to my house. It got away from me the other day and it wasn't 10 minutes and it was back in the driveway pecking around. I put my cage out and tied my string to the door once again and caught once more. I'm going to have to haul it off somewhere and let it loose, it has made a mess on the roof of the house and I caught it on top of my truck also...........that's a big NO-NO!, it's lucky that I didn't get out the 12 gauge when it did that!!  The darn thing probably thinks this is home now and will keep coming back!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2004, 08:31:47 PM »

Trailboss, sounds like you are a proud new owner of a worthless racing pigeon. :?

Komori, no harm no fowl...wait, I mean foul. :wink:

duck nutt
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2004, 09:50:55 AM »

i'm interested in catching pigeons for dog training....we don't have pigeons in barns around here, but i see them under bridges and on top of buildings in town...anybody have any trapping secrets?  for example, where would I place the trap for pigeons under bridges?...I have one across a creek 1/4 from my house, but don't have a clue about catching them..
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2004, 10:47:59 AM »

The key to trapping pigeons is to get the trap as close to where they normally roost as you can. The trap should be placed where the birds can see it easily from the roosting spot if it can't be right on it. There is normaly a ledge under a bridge or overpass where the birds roost, and the trap can be placed on it directly if there's enough room. The seed spread around in the bottom of the cage is a visual attractant to the birds. If they can't see it, you won't catch them, so keep that in mind when you are picking your spot. 8) Make sure there is plenty of fresh water in there especially if you keep your trap set during the heat of the summer, and check it at least twice a day during that time. If the weather is mild, and the birds have plenty of food/water in the trap, having a bird in the cage will help attract more birds! :wink:

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2004, 04:41:52 PM »

Quote from: duck nutt
i'm interested in catching pigeons for dog training....we don't have pigeons in barns around here, but i see them under bridges and on top of buildings in town...anybody have any trapping secrets?  for example, where would I place the trap for pigeons under bridges?...I have one across a creek 1/4 from my house, but don't have a clue about catching them..

I'll sell ya one!!  A real nice Racing Homer so I'm told.......it will probably have rigormortis though if it doesn't move on down the road!!  You should be thankful that you don't have any in the barns........I never seen anything crap as much as this thing does......it rates right up there with geese.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »