Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:44:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  AA Plantation/Dale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AA Plantation/Dale  (Read 5050 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: October 03, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »

Dale,

How did all of your food plots on the preserve make out? All of mine, this year, due to the lack of rain, and 2 empty ponds, and one super low creek, I didn't have any irrigation water that I usually water from and they are really said looking. What a total waist :sad:.

The Sorghum and Milo have the smallest seed heads I have ever seen in 7 years :sad:.

The only thing that grew decent were the weeds, :mad: and the Foxtail millet, :mad: . The white pearl and Brown Top Millet never made it.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »

All of my craps (crops) where just that.......crap!   And what did make it, the deer have completely wiped out in last week or so. Pond is lower than I ever remember.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
AA Plantation
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:29:27 PM »

Well,
The lack of rain effected everything, including the crops.
On a great year we get 125 bushels per acre in corn. i got 30 on some and mostly 40-60 on others. Planted allot of corn due to the high prices. Soybeans are not going to make more than 5-10 bushels per acre and i don't know how much the combine will get due to the small bean size. (10.50 per bushell price now)
Fortunately we did get 2 cuttings on the hay. made enough to feed my horses and sale some. We did have enough rain to make insects for the wild birds to eat. Also grew some OK cover mix of switch grass and broom sage. The weeds did good with allot of ragweed and beggar lice. The Partridge peas will make some and all of the bi-color lesbedeza will make some, not allot of seed. I think the insects and natural weed seeds are the most important to the birds anyways. I was going to plant some sorghum and Egyptian wheat latter around mid august but something told me not to bother. Food plots for the deer are non-existant, as soon as the peas or other stuff sprouts they mow it down.
I started hunting this year on October 1. I have never had anyone hunt with me before the 15th of the month. I am looking forward to a great season, but i know i must be very careful to conserve the cover and make it last all season. I will not be mowing paths on the preserve this year.
I guess i will get used too carrying water for the dogs as well, Never had a issue with places to get water before now
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »