Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Trying to find a horse drawn wagon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying to find a horse drawn wagon  (Read 7464 times)
AA Plantation
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:16:08 PM »

Trying to find a horse drawn wagon is like finding a winning lottery ticket.
I have searched the web and can only find one made by Justin. They want 18k for a wagon that is made of wood. It is nice however, i need something that is not as heavy and more practical to use. I do want it to look old but have modern features such as hyd brakes and rubber tires mounted on large spoke wheels. I have several dog boxes so that is not an issue.
Anyone ever seen a plantation wagon for sale?
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:36:35 PM »

ebay...my favorite place. hehe  They have a few listed.
GameBirdSource

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 08:02:23 AM »

AA, I apologize for being ignorant of your location. Here in mid-Michigan we have a lot of Amish & Old school Mennonite. They have carriages & wagons up & down the roads that they use in daily survival. There are also several folks in their community for fixing/building such items. It may be worth checking into a few of those communities if you have any near you. Several are learning that they need the "outside world" to make a decent living. I don't imagine they advertise on the web but its a thought. I am traveling this weekend to a town near by. I will stop in a few farms & try to explain what you are looking for. Perhaps they would have info for your quest. Can you email or post a picture of exactly or at least close to what you are looking for ? Also on August 11 in Clare,MI there is a HUGE Amish auction. Everything from from handmade quilts, bees wax candles to working horses & farm equip. I know there are Amish that travel from several states to purchase and sell goods. The public has invaded this sale also. 20 years ago I believe there were approx. 50 vehicles at the sale, 2 auction rings and it lasted 4 hours. Now the parking covers an 80 acre field for the 10-12 hours & 5 auction rings and it has opened up a small swap area for "non community vendors" to sell.

People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »

We have a fairly expansive area of scattered Amish farms just West of us, also.  And quite a few near Wichita, where I grew up.  If you don't find something near you, I'm sure we can track one down.  Interestingly, some of the Amish from here, are moving back from Kansas, because the state requires every house to be connected to water, and sewer, or septic tank.  There is a farm, near Seymour, Mo. that raises Bobwhites, and many incubate chicken, and turkey eggs.  I enjoy the grins on their faces, when the subject of power failure comes up! 

The simplest (perhaps not easiest) way to get what you want might be to buy a hay trailer, and have a seat, and sideboards built from old fence, or barn wood.  Or you could do it yourself, in your spare time!

I would want a ball, or pintel hitch option on the tongue.  That would be very handy around the ranch, as well as transporting from point of perchase.  Just a thought.

Jack

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
gunner

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »

I'd suggest you put out a query over at the fieldtrialpointer website. There are a number of folks there that are involved with south eastern  hunting plantations where traditional shooting buggies are still used.
Seems to me there was one advertised by someone not to long ago.
I posted old pictures of a number of them used in the Thomasville GA / Tallahassee FL area over at the Shooting Sportsmen Bulletin Board.
You might want to do a search there and find them. Pretty sweet rigs.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »

There are two of the huge Amish auctions at Clare each year, there is a separate auction just for wagons and buggys, many wagons like you are looking for plus many Amish buggys and everything in between. Google Clare MI auctions.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »