Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Wire cages for quail???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wire cages for quail???  (Read 12834 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: January 08, 2006, 04:47:03 PM »

I was thinking of making some quail cages. I read that 1.5 sq feet is good for 2 birds well I am making a wire cage that is 2' x 2' and was wondering what size wire mesh should I use for my breeders and is 1" x 2" wire good for the walls. Also I would am thinking of putting a nest box in there what size should I make it? Thanks for your help.

Bobwhite quail24
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 05:26:15 PM »

2x2 is good size i would use 1/2x1/2 for sides and floor especially if these cages are in a barn or outside
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 07:54:46 PM »

We use 1 X 1 wire for the sides, but our cages are fully enclosed in a predator proof barn. I agree if they are outside, go with 1/2 X 1/2.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 08:04:54 PM »

I live in a pine forest and they would be outside would that cause any problems?
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 09:41:43 PM »

yes if they are outside cages, go with 1.5X1.5" fencing.   anything bigger, and predators can get their claws in there and rip up your birds even though they can't take them whole.

Here's a pix of my CA Quail breeding pen. 2males, 3females. not sure about the length, but width is around 18" and height is 12". For the nest box, i just devided the width into 3 equals, around 6" and used the whole height. I made the tope of the nest box wider, longer then the box as to be weather proof. Also has hinges on the one end of the top of nest box so I can open to check for eggs. (under that is lined with 1.5" fench so the birds wont fly out when I check the nests)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 09:49:40 PM by aKirA » Logged
Maneater
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 05:21:01 PM »

I have a very large aviary sectioned off into pens and have the smallest wire you can get around the outsides to keep the quails in and the predators out, however when the babies are first hatched they can squeeze themselves through that small wire for the first week, so I have put shadecloth approx 8" high around the inside of the wire in the aviary (from the bottom up of course) that way the babies cannot get through the shadecloth and it also gives them extra protection from direct sun and even predator birds that can pick at them through the small wire opening.  I live in Australia and we have 'butcher' birds' that will sit on the ground at the aviary and  pull the babies through the wire if the babies get too close to the edge of the cage.  They cannot do that now the shadecloth is there.
Maneater
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 05:22:58 PM »

I forgot to mention that I have Japanese and King Quails
klsquail
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »

If you plan to have babies in the pens you'll have to use 1/4" x 1/4" or smaller, otherwise they'll fall through the holes.  Also, if you can find it try coated wire for the floor (steel rust to easily with manure on it.)
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 08:52:40 PM »

correction on my post, i meant 1/2" fencing hehe :laugh:
koboa

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 10:26:42 AM »

I personally set traps by my cages bc I got alot of predators

JK III
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »