Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Alabama
| | | |-+  breeders license
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: breeders license  (Read 17818 times)
Smiles
« on: March 26, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »

is this license required in Alabama if you are not going to sell quail?
BirdBuiz
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:56:45 PM »

are you selling anything?  I believe your required to have a license just to have them <certain gamebirds> you can find out here www.westalabamahuntingtrail.com/fishingli... - 18k - Similar pages

[ More results from www.westalabamahuntingtrail.com ]

http://www.westalabamahuntingtrail.com/fishinglicense.html
jacksoncovey
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 04:21:04 PM »

I talked to the game warden a couple of weeks ago and he told me that anyone can have quail and raise them for themselves, but if you are going to sell them they will need to inspect your set up and sign off on an application to get the license - it is $25 in Alabama.

Audrey
jacksoncovey
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »

The inspection was pretty easy and the process smooth.  There is one glitch in the laws that are listed for Alabama.  There are a lot of regulations that mention a special marker for any birds that will be dressed out or sold as carcasses.  We never could get anyone to help us with these "markers".  But, the game warden called me yesterday and told me that the "markers" mentioned in the regulations are outdated and that in his 25 years on the job he has never even had anyone ask about them, so ignore the "marker for carcass" notes in the regulations.  If you have a breeders license you can sell the birds without these markers.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 05:34:38 AM »

So, what are the Rules and Regulations in Alabama?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jacksoncovey
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:26:51 AM »

The laws and regulations can be found at this link:

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Then click on:

Title 9 Conservation and Natural Resources

Then:

Chapter 11 Fish, Game and Wildlife

You will find the laws, and Article 12 is Commercial Quail Breeding

This is really the only area that we have read up on.  We wanted to try some pheasant but the breeders license gets pretty expensive once you move into anything other than quail.

The article that we had the most trouble with was:

Section 9-11-343
Licensees to obtain markers or marking devices.

Before any sale may be made of the carcass of any bobwhite quail, the holder of a commercial quail breeder's license shall obtain a proper marker or marking device as prescribed by a regulation promulgated by the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources.

This is what my previous post was about.  The thing that puzzles me is that no one has ever even asked the game warden about these mysterious markers.  Apparently the quail breeders in my area don't even bother to check out the laws.  I even met one guy that didn't even know he was suppose to get a license (and he's been selling for two years).

I hope the links get you to the answers to your question.  We are still learning and reading everything we can (in all our spare time  :laugh:).

Regards, Audrey
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 01:41:34 PM »

The laws and regulations can be found at this link:

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Then click on:

Title 9 Conservation and Natural Resources

Then:

Chapter 11 Fish, Game and Wildlife

You will find the laws, and Article 12 is Commercial Quail Breeding

This is really the only area that we have read up on.  We wanted to try some pheasant but the breeders license gets pretty expensive once you move into anything other than quail.

The article that we had the most trouble with was:

Section 9-11-343
Licensees to obtain markers or marking devices.

Before any sale may be made of the carcass of any bobwhite quail, the holder of a commercial quail breeder's license shall obtain a proper marker or marking device as prescribed by a regulation promulgated by the Commissioner of Conservation and Natural Resources.

This is what my previous post was about.  The thing that puzzles me is that no one has ever even asked the game warden about these mysterious markers.  Apparently the quail breeders in my area don't even bother to check out the laws.  I even met one guy that didn't even know he was suppose to get a license (and he's been selling for two years).

I hope the links get you to the answers to your question.  We are still learning and reading everything we can (in all our spare time  :laugh:).

Regards, Audrey

Audrey,

Thanks for the link. I haven't gotten to look at it yet, but I will. I alway like to see how other states have there Rules and Regulations set up and how they screw around with the people.

I had noticed you talking about a carcass tag or marker. I would think that this is something that is to be on a dead bird/slaughtered, being sold as a consumable to the general public.

Apparently there isn't that many people that do this either in the state, or within your county, since your Game Warden isn't familiar with this.

Are you looking into the slaugher end of this business, or are you selling live birds?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 01:59:58 PM »

Audrey

I was also thinking that if you have the game breeders license, you would be issued a license number. So I would assume  :laugh:   :laugh: that the tag or marker would have you license number attached to the carcass showing where it came from for identification if someone got sick.

West Virginia requires a state form when ever there is any type of transfer, and then mailed to the local DNR District in our county where the game farm is located.  Just more bureaucratic B.S.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

jacksoncovey
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 06:38:46 PM »

We are hoping to just sell live birds to dog trainers, hunting preserves and individual hunters but we have already had some requests for dressed out birds from folks who would just like to eat them.  I figure as long as the requests aren't in large numbers that we can dress some out for a higher price.

We do have a number on the license and apparently we will have to include it in some cases but since we won't be selling until February I haven't looked at it that closely yet.

So far everything has been pretty easy in Alabama but I'm sure we will hit some bumps once we get a little farther along.

Audrey
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 03:54:15 AM »

Well Good Luck Audrey!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »