Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:25:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Knock Knock
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knock Knock  (Read 90167 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »

Wasn't serious..... if I remember right, they need more heat than "normal" Peacocks. I happen to live in a "cool" area.
In fact, a couple days ago it was -32c. Been in the -20c area mostly. I'm working 7-8 hours north of my place ...... and the snow is at least 5' deep !
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »

You will just have to keep them in a heated barn during the winter months....No problem down here...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2013, 08:27:34 AM »

I'll have to give it a think.
With spending so much on cars now, building a new aviary is not high on my list of things to do....

I have to build one for the Black Shoulder pair I have (still have 1 male & 3 hens hatched last year to get rid of as well).

New job means 4 days off a month. Lots of money.....no time !
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2013, 10:32:47 AM »

I have to build mine a new pen as well..I really like them. They are like no other Peafowl...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2013, 03:48:42 PM »

Different calls ?
Details !

Grader came in today & plowed the 2000' lane way. Four foot drifts. It was 4x4 driving all the way to pavement, about 6+ miles.
Winter is still here.......
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:51:34 PM by Reeves » Logged
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »

Hey the forecast changed!!  Talking possible 40F on Monday  :grin:

We are looking for good operators down here, Reeves, if you ever want to leave the tundra.  I doubt our equipment is the size your used to but we have quite of bit of dirt to move.  Started putting feelers out to some old coworkers and not too many people willing to leave the position their in, can't blame them. 

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2013, 04:26:39 AM »

Mine are to young to call but I do not think that they do all the calling during mating season like the others do. Mine do alot of clicking when I am around. They are still pretty wild the males more so than the hen. She seems pretty dosale most of the time. Really never seen her have a panic attack like the males..

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »

Little Bear - Was trying to move to the States back in (I think) the 80s . I didn't try too hard though. Hate paying all the taxes in Canada & at that time (if I remember right) wages were near the same for a hoe operator.
I now make $35.00/hr. Over time after 40 hours a week and/or 8 hours a day. They pay me $100.00/day for my truck (which is about $60.00/day too low. Should be $160.00/day)
But, they pay $180.00/day SUB.
We work 10 hours a day min. 24 days on & 4 off. Paid to travel as well.
The above is "normal" for oil patch work. Construction (ie: water & sewer) pays less.
FYI - it is still in the -15c to -40c in the area I've been working. Plus 5' of snow ! This is a 7-8 hour drive north of Edmonton (High Level & west to Rainbow Lake).
Weather at home is still in the -20c area. Drifts 4' + and more wind & snow on the way.
I'll take a picture today....

What is pay like down there ?
Another FYI - Canada has some program to hire ex-military for oil patch work. Always a shortage of workers here. In fact, some new law was rammed down from up high, making it easier to hire foreign workers.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:54:32 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »

Bill - Mine are "shy" during the off season. Male not shy at all during breeding season.
Of course, the parents taught the young ones this wary/shy thing.
I also think they were reaised by the guy only. From when I brought them home to the present time they are more shy with the wife. She calls them "Duck & Run" ! LOL !

During breeding season the male will walk up (sneek ?) to within a couple feet when I'm in the pen. Not shy when I'm in there cutting grass etc. Spooky sometimes, due to my memories of when I raised wild Eastern Turkey. That beast would attack at all times.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:20 AM »

Operators are up around $38 with another $19 in fringes.  We usually pay a buck or two more over scale with experience.  We pay WI scale even when working in MN to keep the guys happy.  We have same OT rules and typically work 12 hr days or more depending on time of year and the push.  We have been traveling quite a bit but are trying to stay within a couple hr radius so far this year with the bidding.  We haven't had to expand that yet but who knows as the year goes on. 

We have 3 main areas of business, guardrail, landscape/erosion control, and grading.  This year we are definitely grading heavy with some bigger jobs that we typically don't go after but they were too close to home to not hit them hard.  This would have been a great year for an early spring like last year.  We would aready be working but with the snowpack, I think it will be lucky if we are going by 5/1.

Snow finally quit here but the blowing has picked up.  Just had to go pull my wife out, she got stuck in our driveway  :grin:

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »

Good wages for the States !
If I was younger.....
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »

Reeves the guy that I got these from had about 100 juvies in a hugh flight pen and they were all real wild. These were the only Java`s in the pen but all the birds were crazy wild...he has around 100 breeder pens and 48 colors. The guy has a hell of a set up and also raises 15 or so types of pheasants. And 3 species of Jungle Fowl..

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »

PM the guys name. I may know of him ?

Woke to 4-6" new snow. Day before I had the grader in to clear the 2000' lane way of 4' drifts. Yesterday the wind came up high, from a different direction. New 4' drifts.
Calm today though. So far.

I have always found birds from "busy" places ( big breeders) to be wild. No time spent with them, they are just a way to make a few extra bucks.
Smaller breeders seem to spend time around the birds, if only to sit & watch them. These birds seem much more calm.

or

In the case of Reeves Pheasants, more rabid  :grin:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »

About 8" new snow & still snowing. No wind......yet.
My blue 72 parts car......hard to tell in pics due to flat light. Snow is roof high on the drivers side. Two days ago I could walk around the car. Two different days of wind from two different directions burried the car.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:17:35 PM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »

A few hours later & still dumping snow....

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »