Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:12:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  My Babies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Babies  (Read 6094 times)
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: August 16, 2005, 03:18:33 AM »

Just wanted to share the results and pix of my hatching of buttons and bobwhites.

First, I would like to thank all that helped directly or indirectly with your knowledge in this forum or elsewhere on the net.

I guess the experience was all the more exciting because I made my own incubator from a styrofoam ice chest and 2 night lights. I set 14 button eggs in my homemade incubator and 6 in a Chick-Bator just incase. So 20 buttons in all. On day 17, only 4 hatched. All from my homemade incubator. Kept the other eggs for a few more days then opened them up to check. They were all still yolk and white except for one that had a small dead embryo. Could be they weren't too fertile? but I don't know...lots of factors involved, shipping, incubation conditions, etc. I'm happy though. :laugh:

I also set 19 jumbo bobwhite eggs. On day 23, they started hatching on through to the next day. All hatched but 1. Gonna keep it in the incubator for a few more days but it's probably bad. It looks a little darker then the rest and has no sign of pecking from within. Never the less...Im really happy with this hatch rate. :laugh:

pheww...I didn't realize how much time and care you need to devote to brooding, feeding, and cleaning their box till they come of age. Wonderful experience though.

The miracle of life. http://webpages.charter.net/yingcha/quail.swf
buttonquail
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 10:00:52 PM »

Really enjoyed your pics and the link to the movie.  We have hatched bob whites and buttons.  Want to keep releasing the bobs;  the buttons are very active, colorful, but aggressive.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 12:20:28 AM »

;)
eggy
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:08:15 PM »

I want to build an incubator like that! You say it only took two night lights to heat it? What wattage are they? How did you fasten the glass to the styrofoam? Please post any other details that I would need.

Thanks,
eggy
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 06:30:24 PM »

Here is the bottum side of the cover. It is basically an extension multi-socket with two night lights using 7w bulbs. Made a little groove in the back where the wire goes out. I used masking tape to protect the styrofoam from the heat of the bulbs. Also, to hold the wire in place. But you can probably find or think of a more sophisticated method if need be. i.e. can line it with aluminum foil to protect the styrofoam from the bulbs.

Here is the top side of the cover. I used a metal wire, put it through the styrofoam, around the extension/multisocket to hold it in place. Tape will not work alone because with the heat, the tackyness will get weak and eventually give way. Again there may be a more sophisticated/better method to secure it  but this is just a result of the little time I wanted to spend on it.

I used plexiglass for the window. I just cut the opening a little smaller then the plexiglass then used Aquarium Silicone to seal it. You can probably use glass if you dont have access to plexiglass but id recommend plexi. less heavy and durable. The other two parts are basically, 1/2" wire cut to size where it will sit leaving some room on the bottum for water. The other is just a piece of non-skid liner. I cut little spots for individual eggs so they wont roll all over the place. easier to turn.

I probably wont be upgrading this incubator but if to improve it second time around, I would use one strong bulb with a cable with dim control. Much more convenient to control temp. As for the way I have it now, I had to take out the light cover, open cover, cover incubator with towels, etc. just to control temp. I had success with temps ranging from 95-106. So don't get discourage.

Hope this helps.
eggy
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »

Thanks for the info!

-eggy
ChicksInSC
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 07:16:16 PM »

Wow, your incubator looks so cool. Do you only use the two night lights as a heat source??? That would be great if you did. I might have to steal your idea for my own use. I tried building an incubator but had a hard time keeping temsps right in mine. Yours seems so great!

Ashley
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 07:35:23 PM »

Thanks Chicks,
I don't mind you stealing my examples. ;)
As far as the two 7w night lights, that was during summer and it did get the temp up to the desired. But as winter is upon us, I find that two 7w bulbs aren't enuff. I have upgraded my incubator to a one 40w bulb and going to buy a lamp dimmer to control temp. I'll post images once done.
ChicksInSC
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 09:11:25 PM »

Thanks! I have a hovabator incubator that holds temps real well but my problem comes with the fact that I added 6 quail to the bator on a Wednesday and that Thursday I added 16 guinea eggs that I was expecting in the mail. So since I spent a lot more on the guinea eggs I want to ensure their hatch. That means I won't be able to increase humidity for the quail hatch so I would love to make another incubator to use as my quail hatcher. I think I'll give your incubator example a try. What could it hurt.

The one we built was doing fine, but the thermostat we bought wouldn't hold the temp close enought. It feel too far and went up too hight to make it work. We used porcelain light sockets and a waterheater thermostat. My hubby's already talking about buillding me a new bigger one and buying the replacer thermostat for incubators. Our local feed store sells them. That's for future, more numerous hatches. Won't be for a while though. So in the meantime I'll try your plan. Thanks again!
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 03:49:14 AM »

Here are the pix of my upgraded incubator that i promised. 40wat bulb and lamp dimmer. Lamp dimmer connects to wall outlet and you connect the light plug to a socket on top of lamp dimmer plug.

This is my current hatch of 11 Jumbo browns out of 24 eggs. I call them my "Miracle Hatch" lol
Reason being is that I did not get the lamp dimmer until the 13th or 14th incubation day. During that time, only way I was able to control temp was to prop the cover up on some cardboard either wider or lower. So I am thankful any hatched at all. Very very late hatch though. Started hatching on day 19-20!!!  :O  I will be very suprise to find some more hatch by tomorrow. LOL

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 03:59:24 PM »

3 more hatched this morning! :o

goes to show how bad my incubation condition was. lol
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 07:16:44 PM »

well one more hatched today but unfortunately it is a bit abnormal as i may have expected. There seems to be no life in its little legs. Now I may have to figure out a way to put it to sleep. :(
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »